Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Growth question  (Read 2886 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Hop Growth question
« on: April 16, 2014, 05:43:44 pm »
Just potted a cascade rhizome this evening (pumped) and I have a question about the growth cycles. From what I gather the summer and fall months are heavy growing months, but what happens during winter? Does the entire vine go dormant and grow tall again in the spring?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Hop Growth question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 06:16:20 pm »
Yup. Chop it off a couple inches above ground

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:19:54 pm »

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 05:24:16 am »
As a follow up, I'm reading a brochure that came with the Rhizome. It mentions that "this is when the flower is receptive to pollen and if males are present, wind-borne pollen will fertilize the female flower and result in a seeded female hop cone".

Does this mean you have to have a male plant around in order to get hop cones to grow?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:38:06 am »
As a follow up, I'm reading a brochure that came with the Rhizome. It mentions that "this is when the flower is receptive to pollen and if males are present, wind-borne pollen will fertilize the female flower and result in a seeded female hop cone".

Does this mean you have to have a male plant around in order to get hop cones to grow?

No. You don't want males around. The females will produce cones regardless. But if a male is present, the cones will get pollinated and produce seeds. You don't want seeds. But good question.
Frank

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:09:41 am »

No. You don't want males around. The females will produce cones regardless. But if a male is present, the cones will get pollinated and produce seeds. You don't want seeds. But good question.
Seeds are looked down upon, but I have seen them with frequency in British hops, less often in American hops and once in some Hallertau Mittelfrueh(!).

The growth cycle is rapid in the spring, but not the fall. At the summer solstice the small burrs start to form, then the cones come from those. Where I live the cones are ready to harvest from mid August to mid September depending on the growing year and variety. I harvest of the bine, but commercial growers cut the bines down then for harvest. I cut the bine down in the fall, leaving about 2 feet above the ground.

Edit - if you are in FL you will have a much earlier harvest than I do.

Edit2 - http://freshops.com/hop-growing/hop-gardening
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:12:30 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:03:42 pm »
Just an update...who says you can't grow hops in Florida? After a month and a half, my Cascade plant is about 10 feet tall! The organic Cascade I planted next to it didn't fare so well. Much slower growth, tiny leaves, fungus, etc. Pics coming.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 06:00:45 pm »

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »
Never mind my bowing wooden stake and miniature hop! They just started budding over the past few days, of course I had to rip one off for pictures. The leaves aren't fairing too well at this point.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 09:02:13 am »
Love the pics. I will be growing next year in our community garden plot. Cant wait to get started!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)