Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The state of American beer  (Read 1193 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: The state of American beer
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:05:40 am »
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:08:15 am »
Yes.

And for for Shiner supposedly being such a garbage beer it is right up there with our favorite craft breweries. Granted, they have a slew of fantastic seasonals all year long.

Just about everywhere I go Blue Moon is offered, so there may be a kernel of validity to the claim it is a national "favorite" but more likely due to nation-wide availability!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:33:20 am »
The question that comes to mind is "Will we continue to see double digit growth in the Craft Beer sector" and for how much longer?

My optomistic opinion is that we should continue to see this trend as long as the beer quality stays within the realm of excellence. However, there seems to be some slipping in this regard so time will tell.

At least another 5-10 years.  :)
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:38:31 pm »
I think these types of studies are really encouraging for the craft beer industry. What I see is that, although the overall beer market may be slowly shrinking, the available market share for craft beer (market share they do not currently hold) is still huge. Sure, there will be lot's of folks that never move away from the BMC line up except maybe to blue moon but there are still so many folks out there that will try some craft brew and decide they like that as well.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:19:10 pm »
It will be interesting to see the figures in a year or two. The new Lagunitas Chicago brewery is up and running, with capacity of 500K barrels and it will be 1.3 million by the fall. Some pictures here
http://chicagoist.com/2014/04/21/lagunitas_brewings_chicago_facility.php
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.