Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing a Wit today  (Read 1389 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Brewing a Wit today
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:38:21 am »
About once a year I brew Mdixon's Wit or Without recipe.  Makes a great wit but I always forget just what a huge pain in the butt this is.
I batch sparge but this calls for incremental steps.  So, I put it in the boil pot and boiled the wheat for 20 mins or so.  Then I added a bunch of cold water and the barley which worked out great to bring it down to the 104F acid rest stop. 
But after that I went for 122 by heating slowly, stirring and checking and missed it by a bit.  Hit about 128-130 before I got stopped heating.  Oh well, wrapped in coats and left for 1/2 an hour.
Now I've ramped it to 153 paying more attention and wrapped it up again. 
Next step is to mash out at 170. 
Then I have to put it all into the cooler, heat up some more water for sparging, lauter etc.  Seems like I've been all morning and I'm not even to the boil stage yet.
But, it makes a great beer so it's all worth it.

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
Re: Brewing a Wit today
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:59:48 am »
I make a Hefe like that using a double decoction.  Pain in the rear but it makes a great beer.  Only do it once a year as well.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:58:15 pm »
I can't find the recipe anymore.  The link to the recipe at www.ipass.net/mpdixon is no longer valid!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 01:36:06 pm »
I can't find the recipe anymore.  The link to the recipe at www.ipass.net/mpdixon is no longer valid!

I'll find it when I get done with the GD, Mother F'n stuck mash I'm dealing with.  Rice hulls added but still running at glacier pace. 

Deep breaths...deep breaths....

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 02:07:54 pm »

It's kind of funny, but if you do a search for it it leads to two threads on this forum looking for the same recipe.  Here's the current link:
http://carboyclub.com/recipes/wit3.htm
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995