Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolbach of Weyermann Malts  (Read 5579 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Kolbach of Weyermann Malts
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 10:15:51 am »

Ah, that was a good thread.

So, would a Hochkurz step mash potentially ruin head retention? I do a rest in the mid 140s for 20-30 minutes, then step up to the mid to upper 150s for 30-45 minutes, then pull a thin decoction to mash out. Not a protein rest, but Keith mentioned step mashes as well.

The Hochkurz step mash at the bottom on Kai's page below has no Protein rest, and a longer dextrin rest. The long dextrin rest is said to aid mouthfeel and head retention.

Edit - the link.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Infusion_Mashing
I believe that is where I took it from as I usually do a longer alpha rest. It's really not a pain to do, like decoctions, so I'll likely keep doing this mash schedule for my lagers.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 10:25:24 am »
It gets me a couple extra gravity points, but perhaps you're right. A 90 minute rest at 148-150 might be just as good?

That's my procedure.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 03:13:26 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't some german breweries still malt their own? If so, perhaps THEY benefit from a protein rest with their malt?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 04:29:17 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't some german breweries still malt their own? If so, perhaps THEY benefit from a protein rest with their malt?
I know that Spezial and Schlenkerla malt their barley. Other than that I don't know who would.

Anyone with more info?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:25:46 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:27 pm »
Pilsner Urquell used to have malting facility.  Not sure if still true after SAB acquisition.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 07:32:40 am »
I believe that is where I took it from as I usually do a longer alpha rest. It's really not a pain to do, like decoctions, so I'll likely keep doing this mash schedule for my lagers.
/quote]

I started doing the Hockhurz step for my lagers and while I've not done a side x side comparison versus a single infusion, i have liked the results so much and it is so easy (for me) to do, that I keep it as a standard practice for lagers. 

40min at 145/20 min at 158 for drier beers like pilsner
20min at 145/40 min at 158 for beers like dunkel and marzen

bear in mind, it takes me 20 min to ramp up, so i often strike in at the desired temp, and then begin the rise about 10 min before the end of the step.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 07:44:09 am »
Paulaner also has their own malting facility.

Thanks, Paul. That sounds like a solid practice. I will try the longer Beta sacc rest next time for a helles. I usually do 20-30 minutes at 144, infuse to 156-158 for 45 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:45:53 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 09:21:56 am »

Maybe.  The general info that I'm aware of is that due to the cost of energy and labor, they want to make it as simple as possible.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 01:39:04 pm »
Malting your own malt at the brewery can give you a huge advantage. Of course this would have to be done to scale and fully understand the malting process.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com