Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Altbier Recipe  (Read 10277 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Altbier Recipe
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 06:30:34 am »
Another thing to consider is that there are lots of different alts in Dussledorf and Germany and they don't all taste the same! There are variations on the style.

That is why I said Zum Uerige is an outlier. There are ones I had in Germany that were not so great. In Duesseldorf there is variation as you say, more than most would think.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 08:03:18 am »
I have finalized my recipe to brew on Saturday. It is not really an Alt but for our purposes, let's say it is...

I plan to use the Dusseldorf water profile. What pH should I shoot for? I have recently started treating my water and have just been adjusting to 5.4. From what I am learning, darker beers seem to benefit from 5.5 and pilsners from 5.2. I assume for a beer like this that 5.3 or 5.4 would be sufficient?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:05:10 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 08:08:41 am »
I shoot for 5.4 on mine

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 08:10:20 am »
I was around 5.45.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 08:12:46 am »
Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 09:34:48 am »
Another thing to consider is that there are lots of different alts in Dussledorf and Germany and they don't all taste the same! There are variations on the style.

Yep...LOTs of variations.  Most are too sweet for my tastes, which is why I prefer Zum Uerige.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 09:35:41 am »
I have finalized my recipe to brew on Saturday. It is not really an Alt but for our purposes, let's say it is...

I plan to use the Dusseldorf water profile. What pH should I shoot for? I have recently started treating my water and have just been adjusting to 5.4. From what I am learning, darker beers seem to benefit from 5.5 and pilsners from 5.2. I assume for a beer like this that 5.3 or 5.4 would be sufficient?

It's generally not a good idea to use a city profile.  How do you know how or if they treat the water?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 10:07:56 am »

It's generally not a good idea to use a city profile.  How do you know how or if they treat the water?

I don't know. I was just reading about that in the water knowledge section.

I don't match water profiles exactly and this is my first time using a city profile as a 'guide'. I normally just shoot to match S04 and bump up my Ca as needed which is always necessary for my water. Using CaCl naturally brings up my Cl which is not an issue. I can go with the Amber bitter profile for 30 more ppm of SO4 otherwise the difference is minimal for my adjustments.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:21:26 am by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 10:22:42 am »
I can go with the Amber bitter profile for 30 more ppm of SO4

FWIW, I use Amber Bitter for alt.  Comes out great for the style of alt I like.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 07:19:44 pm »

I definitely get sourness from wheat a lot of times.

I've always had trouble with some of the things in that book, but AFAIK, the use of crystal in the book is fairly accurate, no matter what he says in the text.  For years, I ridiculed it, then came across the recipe fro Zum Uerige, my absolute favorite alt.  There is some crystal in it.  The recipe comes from Dr. Frank Hebmuller, brewmaster at Uerige.  Here's something I wrote on B&V years ago....

Water can be relatively hard with a high carbonate level.  Malt is based on well modified pils, with a bit of caramel malt and a bit of "chocolate roasted wheat malt".  Mash schedule has rests at 125, 144, 158, and 169 (mashout). Boil time is 60-70 min. Mittelfruh, Perle, or Spalt are the preferred hops. Aroma hop addition is about 25% of the total hop amount. Add aroma hops no earlier than 20 min. before flameout. OG is 1.044-1.052. Primary between 59-68F. Secondary at 50F. Then condition at 32F for 14 days. FG should be 1.008-1.014. 4.3-5.5% ABV Here's the recipe he gives for 5 gal. ....

5.9 lb. Pils malt
.15 lb. Caramel malt (e.g. Weyermann Caramunich)
1.34 oz. Chocolate Roasted malt (e.g. weyermann Carafa Spezial Type 1)
.7 oz. Hallertau Mittlefruh - 6.5% - 60 min.
.46 oz. Perele - 7.5% - 60 min.
1.11 oz. Spalt - 5% - 20 min.

Denny-
 Is the chocolate simply for color contribution- wondering if some sinamar vs. the roast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 09:02:32 pm »

I've always had trouble with some of the things in that book, but AFAIK, the use of crystal in the book is fairly accurate, no matter what he says in the text.  For years, I ridiculed it, then came across the recipe fro Zum Uerige, my absolute favorite alt.  There is some crystal in it.  The recipe comes from Dr. Frank Hebmuller, brewmaster at Uerige.  Here's something I wrote on B&V years ago....

Water can be relatively hard with a high carbonate level.  Malt is based on well modified pils, with a bit of caramel malt and a bit of "chocolate roasted wheat malt".  Mash schedule has rests at 125, 144, 158, and 169 (mashout). Boil time is 60-70 min. Mittelfruh, Perle, or Spalt are the preferred hops. Aroma hop addition is about 25% of the total hop amount. Add aroma hops no earlier than 20 min. before flameout. OG is 1.044-1.052. Primary between 59-68F. Secondary at 50F. Then condition at 32F for 14 days. FG should be 1.008-1.014. 4.3-5.5% ABV Here's the recipe he gives for 5 gal. ....

5.9 lb. Pils malt

Denny-
 Is the chocolate simply for color contribution- wondering if some sinamar vs. the roast.

I use 2 oz dehusked carafa ii with good results. I think it adds just a bit of complexity without noticeable roast.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 08:45:25 am »

Big time.  I would add that in my estimation, it is Zum Uerige's application of hops that set them apart as Jeff mentioned, "an outlier" in term of bitterness moreso than a dramatically different grist compared to others in Dusseldorf.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 09:11:16 am »

5.9 lb. Pils malt

Denny-

I use 2 oz dehusked carafa ii with good results. I think it adds just a bit of complexity without noticeable roast.

yeah i wouldnt worry about 2oz contributing roast-just curious if it added anything other than color. i have sinamar and 2oz would be good color contribution with all the other malt.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 09:39:25 am »

5.9 lb. Pils malt

Denny-

yeah i wouldnt worry about 2oz contributing roast-just curious if it added anything other than color. i have sinamar and 2oz would be good color contribution with all the other malt.

FWIW, I used ~ 2 oz Carafa III last time I brewed that. Came out nice.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2015, 10:05:19 am »

5.9 lb. Pils malt

Denny-

Simply for color.  I use sinamar in mine.

www.dennybrew.com