Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Altbier Recipe  (Read 10279 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Altbier Recipe
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2015, 04:57:50 pm »
Good to hear others chime in on this subject. I started a topic some time ago and the consensus was that there is no yeast that is good for both kolsch and alt.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2015, 05:08:43 pm »
Good to hear others chime in on this subject. I started a topic some time ago and the consensus was that there is no yeast that is good for both kolsch and alt.

To be clear, my motivation to use the "Alt" yeast in a "Kolsch" recipe was purely experimental discovery, not at all seeking a yeast that can meet parameters for both styles. More so, simply to compare how two old school ale yeasts from areas about 40 minutes apart would perform on their counterpart wort. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2015, 05:10:15 pm »

To be clear, my motivation to use the "Alt" yeast in a "Kolsch" recipe was purely experimental discovery, not at all seeking a yeast that can meet parameters for both styles. More so, simply to compare how two old school ale yeasts from areas about 40 minutes apart would perform on their counterpart wort.

Got ya. Let's just disregard my comments. I don't pretend to know enough to really have an opinion one way or the other. Kolsch yeast for an Alt has worked well for me in the past...that's about all I can comment on...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2015, 05:26:20 pm »

Got ya. Let's just disregard my comments. I don't pretend to know enough to really have an opinion one way or the other. Kolsch yeast for an Alt has worked well for me in the past...that's about all I can comment on...

Your experience is shared by many... White labs included. I can't wait to see for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2015, 08:51:08 am »

Your experience is shared by many... White labs included. I can't wait to see for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too! ;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Ancient Abbey

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2015, 05:10:11 am »
I brewed a dopplesticke with 2565, and it came out quite nice.  I have a regular alt in the primary now using 2565 as a result.  They yeast is not very flocculant and requires gelatin and time to clear, but the flavor is nice.  WLP036 is much easier to work with.  I plan to do some split batches and triangle tests with kolsch vs alt strains this winter. 

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2015, 12:25:07 pm »
so I used a pouch of white labs wlp029 pure pitch in 1.5Qt starter, let it ferment out on stir plate and then decanted and pitched it into my alt on 12/26 at 4pm. went into 58F wort and held there until this morning when krausen had dropped . decided to take a reading and it went from 1.052 to 1.013....suprised me based upon experience with wlp029 and colder temps then recommended by white labs. 

my pure pitch was month old, and with 1.5qt starter and how quickly this has progressed, got me thinking it was over pitched. everything tastes and smell as expected with this yeast and brew...just curious how it progressed so quickly.

anyway, Ive put slow ramp on carboy warming it up to 68F and holding to finish up and clean up.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2015, 01:21:19 pm »
Did you make a starter b/c you were concerned about the lower number of yeast cells at cooler temps?

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2015, 02:21:43 pm »
Did you make a starter b/c you were concerned about the lower number of yeast cells at cooler temps?

yes instead of just pitching a pouch, treated it like lager and made starter. ripped those sugars to shreds pretty quickly -around 60-64hours from pitch and at 58F.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: