Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speidel Fermenter  (Read 12530 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Speidel Fermenter
« on: April 18, 2014, 03:23:09 pm »
I just received the ~8 gallon Speidel Fermenter and I'm curious if anyone else has given this a shot? Today also marks the day that my large glass carboys get repurposed somehow!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Speidel Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:49:47 pm »
Stash them away in case you want to get into sours someday.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 04:33:07 pm »

I just received the ~8 gallon Speidel Fermenter and I'm curious if anyone else has given this a shot? Today also marks the day that my large glass carboys get repurposed somehow!

I have a Speidel. It's great. Not much to say. Gets the job done and doesn't shatter when dropped (like my glass carboy). I have never used the spigot. I just siphon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 05:53:25 pm »
Why avoid the spigot?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:32:36 pm »
Why avoid the spigot?

Yeah.

Anyway, get rid of those glass carboys. Smooth move on the Speidel fermenter!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 06:53:32 am »

Why avoid the spigot?
It seems like my trub line is right there at the spigot every time. I guess I should try it but I always assume it will fill the keg with yeast.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 06:54:28 am »

Mine will be delivered today. I have been waiting for one for a few months now. Looking forward to something that won't shatter if dropped.

Stash them away in case you want to get into sours someday.

Yep. That's what I plan to do with mine.

Ralph R.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 06:26:02 pm »
Haven't had a chance to do much with this yet, but I am impressed on how small the fermenter looks. VERY light weight and seemingly great construction.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:50:34 pm »
I received my Speidel 30L fermentation vessel today.  The airlock is so large that it looks like a caricature.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 07:00:09 pm »
It seems like my trub line is right there at the spigot every time.

That's a lot of trub.  Do you transfer the entire contents of your kettle to the Speidel?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 07:00:49 pm »
Yes. I transfer everything.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 07:21:50 pm »
I use a false bottom, whole cones, and an immersion chiller.  This setup allows me to leave most of the break and almost all of the hop material in kettle.

Offline galapagos jim

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 07:59:10 pm »
I've also got the 8 gallon Spiedel. I like it. It's light, the handles make it easy to maneuver, cleans easily, and it's got enough headspace on a 5-6 gallon batch that I don't need to worry about a blowoff tube.

I use the spigot. Some people don't because infectious crud can grow in there if you don't clean it thoroughly. Case in point: a couple of batches ago I drew a gravity sample after filling the fermenter, and when I came back to transfer to keg the spigot was black and nasty. I siphoned that batch out. Last weekend I made sure to spritz the spigot with Star San before putting it down to ferment.

One more note: there's almost exactly 1/2 gallon of dead space at the bottom, below the level of the outlet. So if you do use the spigot that's how much you'll lose unless you tip the dregs out.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 08:14:50 pm »

I use a false bottom, whole cones, and an immersion chiller.  This setup allows me to leave most of the break and almost all of the hop material in kettle.

I have thought many times about whirl pooling and other methods to remove the trub and hops. But in the end it is just so fast and easy to pour the whole kettle of wort into the fermenter. Laziness wins out for me every time.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 11:16:03 am »
I'm thinking about ordering an 8gal. Is it true that they will handle a 5 gal big belgian without a blowoff? How tall are they including airlock?