Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's in the Tun  (Read 3487 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
What's in the Tun
« on: April 18, 2014, 03:44:44 pm »
Heck yeah. Four day weekend and kicking it off right, brewing Jamil's Robust Porte right now. What are you brewing

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: What's in the Tun
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:48:26 pm »
Kegging a BDSA tomorrow and checking in on a Motueka Pale too. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:23:09 pm »
Brewing a Kona Big Wave Golden Ale Clone‏ tomorrow with a friend who is brewing an IPA. It's spring and it's great to be outside!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 05:46:57 pm »
My weekend started Wednesday. I brewed an IPA that day. Yesterday, I brewed a 10 gallon batch if a pale ale. I also kegged my cherry wheat. Interesting that Kona Big Wave was mentioned, because I have 10 gallons of my version of that fermenting. I currently have 25 gallons fermenting.... All of these mentioned beers will be on tap at my wedding at the end if May.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 05:49:52 pm »
No brewing this weekend. Finished the D-rest on a BoPils, just kegged it for lagering. Gonna try to brew a CAP or Cream Ale next weekend.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 05:49:52 pm »
Brewing James' Brown tomorrow, South Scotland Brown with Irish yeast and a mix of nut type special grains. Mostly golden promise with some brown, some victory,  some pale chocolate.

Just tapped an Irish Red X. 50% golden promise, 50% red X. Waiting for it to settle a bit before photo, but it's tasty. So far I'd say red x is like Munich but a bit more bite.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:49:06 pm »
I'm brewing 2 IPAs and an RIS that I'll add coffee to in a few months. It's all 3 gallon batches, so I think it will be manageable.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 06:50:15 pm »
Brewed an Adelaide sparkling ale today.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 07:18:33 pm »
Gonna have to run and get some hose tomorrow. I have a sneeky suspicion that this porter is gonna require a blow off instead of an airlock. Jim what's that red x you mentioned?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 09:31:49 pm »
No brewing for me. helping out at a local comp tomorrow. Gotta get some stout in bottles for gifts and such. Always a chance I'll get around to tasting the sours this weekend.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 10:35:45 pm »
ESB for me. About time to get back to a "normal" style. :o 10 gallons, OG 1.058, 58 IBU's, SRM 10
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 05:18:08 am »
Brewing a Kona Big Wave Golden Ale Clone‏ tomorrow with a friend who is brewing an IPA. It's spring and it's great to be outside!

I had a Kona Big Wave yesterday for the first time - really good ale - almost lager like.  I would love to see a clone recipe, as it had some very interesting esters that I'd describe as a medley of tropical fruit.  I wondered out loud as to whether it was mainly a hop created flavor or was yeast/fermentation created.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 06:34:06 am »

I had a Kona Big Wave yesterday for the first time - really good ale - almost lager like.  I would love to see a clone recipe, as it had some very interesting esters that I'd describe as a medley of tropical fruit.  I wondered out loud as to whether it was mainly a hop created flavor or was yeast/fermentation created.

Here's what I did. I never had the beer, just took what I info I could get from the Kona website...

5.5 Gallon Batch
OG = 1.047

92% American Two Row = 8 lb 8 oz
5 % Caramel/Crystal 10L = 8 oz
3 % Caramel/Crystal 20L = 5 oz

FWH = 6 g Citra and 6 g Galaxy
10 Minute = 6 g Citra and 6 g Galaxy
0 Minute = 16 g Citra and 16 g Galaxy

White Labs Cali 001
Frank

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 06:49:53 am »
Brewed a British Dark Mild Friday.  Kegged an IPA and cleaned some other kegs as well.  I have a couple other yeast starters going - I have a vermont ale yeast starter that I may brew a Double Sunshine clone with (From BYO) on Sunday.  Yard work and gardening on deck today though.

Offline ncbluesman

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 08:54:33 am »
No brewing this weekend. I've got a Brown Shugga clone in the fermenter that I just dry hopped. The beer tastes and smells amazing and is attenuating nicely from 1.096 to 1.025 using WLP002! I had my concerns.

I also cleaned 10 kegs using my  "Mark's Keg Washer" that I bought from Northern Brewer. This jewel has made a task I dreaded into something that's almost fun. 10 kegs in 2 hours with about 9 gallons of water. Very efficient, too. Disclaimer - I have no association with Mark or Northern Brewer, I'm just a happy customer.