Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question for chemist types  (Read 2346 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Question for chemist types
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:17:53 pm »
In my pea brain, it seems that hops have chlorophyll,  and phenols, could is be possible under the right conditions to create chlorophenols that way?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Question for chemist types
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:38:32 pm »
No.  Chlorophyll does not contain any chlorine atoms.  The chloro in chlorophenols means chlorine.  The chloro in chlorophyll means green.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:02:51 pm »
Makes sense. Dumb question.  I should Google before asking stuff like that.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 05:35:44 pm »
Makes sense. Dumb question.  I should Google before asking stuff like that.
Actually if you google something like that only you learn. If you ask it here we all get to learn something. I'm learning a ton reading the answers to other people's questions.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:34:53 pm »
Yes, Chlorine is named what it is, because it is a greenish yellow gas in its pure form.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:24:16 am »
I did some googling and found a wiki on phenols. Most of it over my head. But it says that one naturally occuring phenol is calll thymol, found in thyme. Also in some hops. One article mentioned a correlation between thymol and beta acid, and that it can be isomerized in low levels of ethanol (like when dry hopping?).  There was a beekeeper forum that was talking about a pesticide for mites that contains thymol.

By the way, the article on thymol says that it is used as an antiseptic in some mouthwashes (chloroseptic I wonder?)

Once I used 4 oz of Mosaic dryhopped in an IPA and that beer was phenolic. Makes me wonder if they might be high in thymol, since there is no chlorine in my system.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 06:28:39 am »
What character did the phenols in the Mosaic beer have? When that has happened to me in the past, I've attributed it to wild yeast.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 06:32:24 am »
By the way, the article on thymol says that it is used as an antiseptic in some mouthwashes (chloroseptic I wonder?)
The active chemicals in many spices are toxic at high concentrations. The plants originally produced them as defense mechanisms, then we caught on that they are delicious. My wife uses eugenol at work to anesthetize fish. Eugenol is pure clove oil.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:36:38 am »
What character did the phenols in the Mosaic beer have? When that has happened to me in the past, I've attributed it to wild yeast.

Its entirely possible it was contamination. I got a latex, medicinal, bandaid aroma and flavor from it. Denny tasted it, maybe he could elaborate

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 08:56:17 am »

Its entirely possible it was contamination. I got a latex, medicinal, bandaid aroma and flavor from it. Denny tasted it, maybe he could elaborate

That's a pretty good description, Jim.  I pretty much doubt it was from the hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 09:59:17 am »
I did some googling and found a wiki on phenols. Most of it over my head. But it says that one naturally occuring phenol is calll thymol, found in thyme. Also in some hops. One article mentioned a correlation between thymol and beta acid, and that it can be isomerized in low levels of ethanol (like when dry hopping?).  There was a beekeeper forum that was talking about a pesticide for mites that contains thymol.

Once I used 4 oz of Mosaic dryhopped in an IPA and that beer was phenolic. Makes me wonder if they might be high in thymol, since there is no chlorine in my system.

The primary antiseptic in Cloroseptic and Listerine is phenol. Just plain old, straight-up phenol. That's where they get their medicinal taste. Other flavor compounds may be phenol-derivatives, but they don't necessarily taste like phenol. Chemically, alcohol is much closer to acetic acid than something like thymol is to phenol, yet vodka tastes nothing like vinegar.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 11:47:06 am »

One of the active ingredients in listerine, IIRC.