Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lil Help  (Read 5038 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Lil Help
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 07:58:23 am »
If a beer is served too cold hold it in your hand and allow it to warm. If you have a steward have them pull some of the bottles out to warm and if it is self serve pull them out to warm yourself.

FWIW - he would way more than pass with this score sheet. If you just looked at it at words on a page it is fantastic, but when you get down to the actual comments and usefulness of those comments that is when it becomes apparent this is not the sheet from a National or higher judge. Now on the bright side it won't take much work to get there. Better and more precise descriptors and solid feedback and he'd have it licked. And the beautiful thing is all it takes is several hundred beers to hone those skills. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 08:15:45 am »
Really great and helpful comments here, thanks for posting Jim!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 12:05:44 pm »
Im really glad I did. I was afraid no one would care, but gratefully wrong about that.

I'll try to absorb most of the great feedback you guys gave, then post up a new one in a few days for critiquing.

Maybe I'll use a home brew next time. That will double the self-abuse. ;-)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 12:07:45 pm »
Hey one more thing. How much time do you have at the exam? Seems like I heard somewhere 60 minute, 10 min per sample. If that's true you must have to really rely on first impressions and get to writing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 12:15:25 pm »
Hey one more thing. How much time do you have at the exam? Seems like I heard somewhere 60 minute, 10 min per sample. If that's true you must have to really rely on first impressions and get to writing.

I can tell you that in NHC 2nd round we shoot for 7 min. per beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 01:49:35 pm »
It is 90 minutes - 15 minutes per beer.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 01:50:39 pm »

An hour and a half for six beers.  So 15 mins per, but you might get less depending on where you are sitting and the order the beers get poured.

On one exam I ended up always being the last one poured, so when I administer an exam I alternate which side I start from.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 01:54:20 pm »
Oh Jim if you want some random homebrew to try to judge and if you are near Tri-Cities anytime let me know.  I can give you some of mine or some random samples from people.  I usually try to get bottles good or bad from people for judging groups or for exam beers.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 03:05:43 pm »
Denny,
It must be difficult to give detailed info and comments at 7 min... though in my opinion, 2nd round ought to be more about whittling it down to top 3.

Jimmy
90 seems very reasonable. But not enough to do much farting around. Ill start practicing on a 12 minute timeline to leave some wiggle room.

James,
I will keep that offer in mind. I might have to take you up on that when the sunny riding weather gets here.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 09:42:00 pm »
Jim-

Any time you are up here near Seattle, give me a call.

PM me your email address and I'll send you some study info.  Have you gotten onto an exam list?  You'll need to get on one now if you want a slot. I have an exam I'm administering next May (2015) in Redmond I'll add you to the list if you want. (if you get on one earlier, I'll just take you off my list).

James- That reminds me, I assume you want in on the written next May, too, right?

Steve

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 09:03:36 am »
Denny,
It must be difficult to give detailed info and comments at 7 min... though in my opinion, 2nd round ought to be more about whittling it down to top 3.

Yeah, it is, but if you have experience it's not too bad.  With the number of beers in second round, things get hosed if it takes much longer than that.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 09:46:48 am »
Yes right now it's looking like about 1000 entries for the 2nd round. At 7 mins per entry you're looking at about 117 judging hours.  That means with the beers just coming straight out with no gaps in between during the 2 3 hour session planned you need at least 117 judges.  Any delays and that number goes up and up.  Wonder how many judges actually judge at the 2nd round.... I've still never judged there.  I'm too selfish for that one.  When i pay for seminars I would rather go to them than judge.  Sorry but it's the way it is for me.  I get all the reasons for why it can't happen the day before etc... but it is what it is.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 10:19:56 am »
Yes right now it's looking like about 1000 entries for the 2nd round. At 7 mins per entry you're looking at about 117 judging hours.  That means with the beers just coming straight out with no gaps in between during the 2 3 hour session planned you need at least 117 judges.  Any delays and that number goes up and up.  Wonder how many judges actually judge at the 2nd round.... I've still never judged there.  I'm too selfish for that one.  When i pay for seminars I would rather go to them than judge.  Sorry but it's the way it is for me.  I get all the reasons for why it can't happen the day before etc... but it is what it is.

I used to judge second round all the time.  The first time I did it, in Orlando, was before the checkbox scoresheets.  We actually ended up needing one more day than planned and it almost broke the system.  That was the incentive to go to the new scoresheets and get it done in a day.  Expenses really mount up fast when you look at the per day cost and one more day can break the bank.  I haven't judged the last few years due to health issues, but I may do it this year.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 10:26:41 am »
Yeah I guess I'm saying I would be curious how many people signed up to judge.  In theory if they could get 167 judges with no delays they would have 10 mins.  So roughly for every 50 judges you (all day judges) you get a 3 minute shift in judging time per beer.  Of course if there is even an average of 1 minute delay in between beers (and lets face it there is at least a minute delay) they you need more judges... I guess it would just be interesting to see how many people judged last year etc... :D

Don't mind me... I'm just playing with numbers while I wait for lunch to cook lol.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 10:33:16 am »
I'm just a peon but if it were up to me 2nd round would be a big BOS with no score sheets. For each catagory have 6 flights of 12 to narrow it to top 18. (15 min). Top 3 from those (30 min)