Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Conditioning: Pellet v. Whole  (Read 1079 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Conditioning: Pellet v. Whole
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:35:03 pm »
Anyone ever noticed that beers made with pellets, especially dryhopped, seem to take a little longer (~week) to condition than those with made with whole?

I thought it was an anomaly a few months back, but I've noticed all my hoppy beers seem to have a 'green' flavor and taste when first packaged in the keg, but then about a week later are perfect.  All other variables the same, when I used whole hops, the beers were pretty much ready to role as soon as kegged.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Conditioning: Pellet v. Whole
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:17:31 pm »
Haven't noticed that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:17:16 pm »
I've noticed it at times, other times not. I think maybe some hop varieties might be more prone to that than others, but I've never tried to isolate which one(s) in a given blend. When I do have a beer with an early 'green' flavor, it's never off putting, just noticeable for a week or so.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 05:36:51 pm »
Well the last IPA I did was double dry hopped, last dose was in the keg. The beer tasted green at first, but it also looked a little green until the hop particles settled out. Once it dropped it got some rave reviews from friends.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!