Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Repitch with us05?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
Repitch with us05?
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:08:11 am »
I want to bottle my saison that I brewed back in October 2013.  I racked into a secondary and pitched Roselare blend with 3lbs of cherries in Jan 2014.  I know it would be idea to keep in secondary, but I've used roselare blend for short periods and then gone into bottles for long conditioning and I liked the results AND space saved..

Anyway, do I need to repitch some yeast before bottling, and what would the best practice be?  I only ask because I've heard there can be issues with repitching in high ABV.  Right now I'm around 10%. OR is there enough roselare blend that I pitched about 3 months ago in solution to do the carbing?

FYI - I'm going to high volumes of carbonation with my new 750 ml belgian bottles/corker and thought this would be a great beer for the new set up!

Thanks for the help.
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Repitch with us05?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:04:20 am »
The saison yeast should still be ok to carbonate the bottles but it's my preference to re-yeast at bottling for high ABV and sour beers as an insurance policy. I've had some of those beers not carbonate so the small cost of a little dried wine yeast is worth it to me.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:22:56 am »
The saison yeast should still be ok to carbonate the bottles but it's my preference to re-yeast at bottling for high ABV and sour beers as an insurance policy. I've had some of those beers not carbonate so the small cost of a little dried wine yeast is worth it to me.

Is pitching the US05 right onto the beer in the bottling bucket OK with high ABV?
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:55:42 am »
Rehydrating in a small amount of boiled and cooled water would help it mix in easier.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 06:51:35 pm »
I recently added some CBC-1 yeast when bottling a doppelbock. I bottled 2.5 gallons and only used about 1.2 grams according to the directions. It's definitely showing signs of carbonation but I have about a week before I check for sure. I'm curious to see if it lives up to its claims of not affecting the flavor profile and leaving the maltotriose alone. Might be worth a try. :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:53:54 pm by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam