Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shake Carbing  (Read 3927 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Shake Carbing
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 10:36:40 pm »
Looks like I'd have to have a CO2 tank and regulator. At that point, I might as well keg.
Yes, you might as well. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 02:44:34 am »
I say that every batch. Well, it's done. I might as well keg it. And so I do.

Offline tehnick

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 04:10:10 pm »
Does anyone use a carbonator cap and PET bottle to fine tune carbonation for competition submissions? Seems like a quick way to chill the beer, hit it with gas at the desired PSI, shake, bleed, and repeat a couple times before transferring into chilled bottles and capping. I've gotten to a point of feeling comfortable enough to enter my beer into some competitions but not comfortable with picking a random bottle and hoping it carbed correctly. Have noticed some inconsistencies with bottle conditioning, so I've switched to kegging.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

Offline ncbluesman

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 06:53:23 pm »
Does anyone use a carbonator cap and PET bottle to fine tune carbonation for competition submissions? Seems like a quick way to chill the beer, hit it with gas at the desired PSI, shake, bleed, and repeat a couple times before transferring into chilled bottles and capping. I've gotten to a point of feeling comfortable enough to enter my beer into some competitions but not comfortable with picking a random bottle and hoping it carbed correctly. Have noticed some inconsistencies with bottle conditioning, so I've switched to kegging.

I think you'd oxygenate the beer transferring to chilled bottles, unless you have a device that would do that for you.  Determine the PSI you need to achieve the volumes of CO2 at the temperature of your refrigeration.  Apply the co2 to the liquid post, using the proper disconnect, of course. And give it 3 or 4 days and you'll be golden. I overcarbonate slightly for competition because you will lose some bottling. A poorman's Beer Gun is a picnic tap and a piece of gas line that fits into the faucet. 

Offline tehnick

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 06:59:06 pm »

I think you'd oxygenate the beer transferring to chilled bottles, unless you have a device that would do that for you.  Determine the PSI you need to achieve the volumes of CO2 at the temperature of your refrigeration.  Apply the co2 to the liquid post, using the proper disconnect, of course. And give it 3 or 4 days and you'll be golden. I overcarbonate slightly for competition because you will lose some bottling. A poorman's Beer Gun is a picnic tap and a piece of gas line that fits into the faucet.

I have found I can stick a bottling wand into the end of my picnic faucet so I could probably turn the psi down really low and bottle that way. Just afraid that the carbonation might not be as good as hitting a smaller amount of beer with gas and moving it that way. Only one way to find out I guess. I could experiment with both methods.