Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop sediment  (Read 6476 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Hop sediment
« on: April 20, 2014, 04:11:21 pm »
What are the effects of hop sediment in beer? Picked up more than I wanted today into the bottles.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: Hop sediment
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:08:55 pm »
It gets stuck in your teeth when you drink your beer. That's about it. I got tired of it clogging up my bottling wand so I started pouring my wort through a strainer into the bucket.

Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:30:57 am »
It should all drop down to the trub in the fermentor but I also use a strainer to filter out what I can grab before the wort hits the fermentor.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:34:50 am »
I could be wrong but I think he might mean hop sediment from dry hopping.  I think the main thing it will do to your beer is make people give you funny looks and possibly crack a few jokes.  IF there is a lot of hop matter in there it could lead to vegetal flavors.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:27:22 am »

I could be wrong but I think he might mean hop sediment from dry hopping.  I think the main thing it will do to your beer is make people give you funny looks and possibly crack a few jokes.  IF there is a lot of hop matter in there it could lead to vegetal flavors.
Yup, hops from dry hopping. Basically sucked up some accidentally while racking.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:35:43 am »
They'll settle out. Just pour carefully.
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 11:35:53 am »
If the bottles are chilled down most of that should be in the bottom of the bottles... Maybe just pour carefully ;-)
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:14:46 am »
I've had this happen to me on more than a few occasions. Raw hop material can be harshly bitter, so give your bottles adequate time for the hops to settle out.

I did have one beer that was unsalvageable, but that was the perfect storm of bad conditions. I ended up overpriming a bit, so the beer was pretty fizzy. On top of that I used a very flocculant yeast (1968, I think), which all dropped like a stone and stuck tight to the bottom of the bottles before the hops could all settle out. Whenever I'd crack a bottle, the rush of carbonation kicked up all the loose hop sediment off the bottom of the bottle and it would all end up in the glass.

Now my practice is always to stop well short when racking to my bottling bucket. Better to leave a beer in the fermenter than ruin the rest of the case just to get one more.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 12:41:55 pm »
I can tell you I hate judging a beer in a competition where it's 'pulpy' like orange juice lol.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 05:52:32 am »
I dry hopped in my keg and had this same thing happen. It's a very small amount, but it seems that in the first few pours I'm still getting a few pieces here and there. Suggestions? Gelatin? Time? Say who cares and keep drinking it until the pieces are gone?
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 05:56:50 am »
Fine mesh nylon bags contain pretty much everything.
Jon H.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 08:16:24 pm »
I used a fine mesh bag, but some pieces escaped. I'm hoping it'll clear within the next pour or two. I in doubt, I'll fill a growler and I bet I'll be fine.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 06:21:26 am »
I used a fine mesh bag, but some pieces escaped. I'm hoping it'll clear within the next pour or two. I in doubt, I'll fill a growler and I bet I'll be fine.
Oh yeah if that's the case it will clear up as you pour off some pints.  I sometimes will speed up the process by pouring off 1/4 of a pint.  Then banging the keg down a few times... pour off another 1/4 of a pint in 3-4 hours.  Usually takes about a pint of beer this way to get most if not all of the hop particles... Basically I figure the dip tube sucks all the hop chunks up when you first pour... but then you get clear beer because it creates a 'hole' in the hop particles... but after it sits awhile that hole gets filled in again with more hops.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 07:13:26 am »
Next time you go to rack into your bottling bucket you can place a piece of sanitized nylons around the end of the racking cane, it works as a great filter medium as they are very fine.

Since I just toss my hops in for dry hopping I use a nylon like this and it not only filters out all the hops but does a great job on the yeast as well without effecting the ability to properly carbonate.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 07:34:30 am »
Next time you go to rack into your bottling bucket you can place a piece of sanitized nylons around the end of the racking cane, it works as a great filter medium as they are very fine.

+1