Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Filters - Who does it and what's best  (Read 2916 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Filters - Who does it and what's best
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:08:38 am »
So first off, let me say that I know that cloudy beer is perfectly fine.  I have no issues with it.  But...

I find that when I give someone a beer that isn't used to homebrew, the fact that it is often a bit hazy, maybe not actually cloudy but certainly not brilliant can impact their perception of the beer.  I often use either gelatin or biofine but I still find that my beer isn't really as clear as I'd like it to be.  So, I'm thinking of investing into a filter system.  How many of you actually filter your beer and if so, what system do you use and like best?
Thanks

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Filters - Who does it and what's best
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:27:58 am »
I have one of those white plastic hexagon shaped plate filters.  I'm not a fan... Sometimes I get a cardboard flavor out of it despite running a bunch of sanitizer through it for awhile to strip out that cardboard flavor.  I have a canister filter as well but I have yet to use it... I bought it to use with my vaccum pump for meads/wines but I don't really see why it wouldn't also get the job done for my beer... I do plan on testing it this week.... So I guess we'll see :D
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

rabeb25

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:55:20 am »
Maybe we should review your gelatin process. Because I get brilliantly clear beers using gelatin.

Picture of a fermenter~5 gallons

My process is as follows:
Cool beer to 32-33f let rest a day or 2. (I do this in the fermenter)
Prepare gelatin: I use 1-2 tsp dissolved in 1 cup of water. I let that sit on the counter top for 30-45 minutes, you should not see any gelatin granules anymore. Heat in microwave until mixture gets to 170.  Then I stir for a little bit to make sure everything is homogeneous. Add to beer, stir gently, and do not disturb trub at the bottom. Pull sample 2-3 days alter to confirm clarity, rack to keg, carbonate.

I have had bad luck with all other filtering means...

Good luck
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:59:04 am by rabeb25 »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:00:46 pm »
+1. I get really clear beers with cold crashing and then gelatin.
Jon H.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 12:05:00 pm »
I do something similar. Gelatin in water, heated in microwave, stir, stir, stir.
Difference is I do it I'm the keg because I try to reuse yeast a lot.
I do find I seem to get sediment when I siphon no matter how careful I am.

rabeb25

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 12:08:35 pm »
Ok then let me ask you this..
 Are you adding as you rack to keg(from fermentation temperature)? Or are you adding when the keg has been sitting in the fridge for a day or 2?

My guess is you are filtering the trub with the gelatin, but the beer is not cold enough to bring out the chill haze before the gelatin drops.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 12:12:41 pm »
FWIW, I add it to the keg, after crashing for a couple days. I wait 2 or three days after adding the gelatin, pump out the dropped yeast/sediment and it's clear until it kicks.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:42:28 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 12:14:16 pm »
If you want to swim in the deep end of haze knowledge... http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/572

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Filters - Who does it and what's best
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 05:51:26 pm »
I do it. You can use canister filter and reusable cartridge. You can buy them from water filter supplier. Buy pleaded cartridge. Size 10" X 2.5" should be fine for 15 gallons. Cartridges are rated not nominal so 1 micron is fine. You could also try 5 micron if this is too tight.

You need to have two kegs and use CO2 to push cold beer thru the filter.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 06:27:58 pm »
Gelatin vs. Irish Moss...debate!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 06:37:45 pm »
Gelatin vs. Irish Moss...debate!

While technically doing the same thin they are applied at different times to treat in different ways.  Not much debate really.

Both:D
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 06:47:21 pm »
+1 to both.
Jon H.

rabeb25

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 06:58:26 am »
Yea, its not really a debate one is pre-fermentation and one is post, though I do prefer whirlfloc.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 11:47:00 am »
I would use gelatin, but it smells nasty and I don't like where it comes from. I just let the beer sit 2-4 weeks until it clears. I do have some gelatin still, maaaaaaaaaybe I'll give it a try again. Maybe.
Jesse

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 10:06:07 am »
I have one of those white plastic hexagon shaped plate filters.  I'm not a fan... Sometimes I get a cardboard flavor out of it despite running a bunch of sanitizer through it for awhile to strip out that cardboard flavor.  I have a canister filter as well but I have yet to use it... I bought it to use with my vaccum pump for meads/wines but I don't really see why it wouldn't also get the job done for my beer... I do plan on testing it this week.... So I guess we'll see :D

I bought one of these about a year ago for the same reason as the OP.  However, it's still unopened in the box.  I have a Pilsner lagering right now, and depending on how that turns out, we may use the filter for the first time.