Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Filters - Who does it and what's best  (Read 2915 times)

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
Re: Filters - Who does it and what's best
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 08:20:59 am »
To answer the question "what's best".  My vote is the Buon Vino Super Jet. I have used this model for about three years now.  Designed for filtering wine and works great for beer.  Self priming pump makes it quick and easy to use.  Minimal beer loss. 

I like using this filter on my light colored beer - Belgian Golden Strong and Belgian Triple. 

I keg most of my beer.  To my palate I can taste quite a difference in the 1st, 6th and 12th glass of beer coming out of my kegs.  Despite using Supermass HB and Biofine Clear, the bottom of the keg always had significant residue.  The dip tube picks up some of this residue and taints the flavor in my beer.  Others may not notice but I certainly can tell.  With filtering there is only a very thin, paint like residue on the bottom.  The beer is considerable more homogenous in flavor from start to finish.  The things we do in search of perfection.....
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline David Lester

• Cellarman
Re: Filters - Who does it and what's best
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 08:09:19 am »
The hexagon filter gives a cardboard flavor due to oxidation of the beer. The filter is introducing 02 after fermentation is complete. You can't wash it out. My only suggestion is to put it in some form of a container and fill the container with CO2 in order to provide a blanket from O2, being that CO2 has an extra carbon atom, making it heavier than air.