Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cocoa powder  (Read 2049 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Cocoa powder
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:59:01 pm »
So I am going to brew a chocolate hazelnut porter found in Brewing classic styles. It calls for the use of unsweetened cocoa powder. Never thought I would be using this in a brew. Anyone have any brands they recommend? I'm guessing this is just something I can get at the grocery store

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Cocoa powder
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:31:10 pm »
MoreBeer sells that recipe as a kit. I believe they use Hershey's. Like any other ingredient, get the highest quality you can find locally.

Be careful with the hazelnut extract. Extract quality and potency can vary. Add a little and taste.

Edit - Checked MoreBeer. They use nibs now. When I bought that kit 8 years ago (5th or 6th batch) it had cocoa powder in it.  http://morebeer.com/images/file.php?file_id=2120
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:39:50 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Cocoa powder
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:48:00 am »
So if I used nibs instead are they just as potent? It did say in the book that the hazelnut extract was extremely potent. Figured I would add small amounts at a time until I got it right

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:33:42 am »
I've only used nibs once, so I don't have much experience there.

Typically, I use baking chocolate (often a Ghirardelli baking bar).  I've used their cocoa powder in the past, but don't recall anything special about that brew.

Whatever you get, go for the highest cacao % possible.  At least, that's my MO.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 11:55:48 am »
It's probably not available every where but valrhona makes a 100% cocoa powder that is amazing. It also contains no fat so no worries about head retention problems down the road
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline sigmund7

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 02:14:38 pm »
Amazon lists several suppliers for valrhona cocoa powder.

Offline bbesser

• Cellarman
  • Engineer to brewer, then back to engineer..for now
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 02:17:24 pm »
I have found that using nibs works great when trying to add chocolate to a stout or doppelbock, so I think it would work well in this situation too. 

I generally use about 3 oz per 5 gallon batch.  To sanitize them I put them in a glass and add just enough vodka to cover them. I let them sit in the fridge for 24-36 hours then add the whole thing in the secondary.  Let them sit for a week or two, and you are good to go.
"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has lost the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 12:59:19 pm »
It's probably not available every where but valrhona makes a 100% cocoa powder that is amazing. It also contains no fat so no worries about head retention problems down the road

All cocoa powder that I am aware of contains fat. The Valrhona powder is 21% cocoa fat. It is also a dutch-process cocoa. This generally equates to darker color, improved solubility, but overall less rich chocolate flavor than natural cocoa. I haven't tested them in beer, so I can say whether the improved solubility of dutched cocoa balances out the richer flavor that natural cocoa typically gives.

As far as natural cocoa goes, I will be making a mead with Domori's in the near future. Everything they make is out-of-this-world, and their Il 100% bar is one of the best chocolates I've ever had.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 01:30:24 pm »
They have a variety of cocoa powders, our did when I got some last. it was 100% cocoa content. As I said may not be available every where
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 01:59:43 pm »
They have a variety of cocoa powders, our did when I got some last. it was 100% cocoa content. As I said may not be available every where

It is 100% cocoa, but some of the fat (i.e., cocoa butter) is still in there. Unprocessed cacao is approximately 50% fat. Powder has had much of the fat expelled, and is typically in the 20-24% cocoa fat range.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 08:44:56 pm »
okay. must have misunderstood
-A Einstein