Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Modifying a 55 gal boilermaker  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Exarchides

• 1st Kit
Modifying a 55 gal boilermaker
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:36:21 am »
Hi Guys.

I have a 55 gal boilermaker that i use as a mash tun. The problem i have is the removal of the grain. I have tried shovels, big ladles, etc, but its a big pain for a short guy like me. Is it possible to install a small/medium size manway on the side of the kettle? That way i could flip the door open and have easier access to the spent grain without killing myself after every batch.
Has anyone done something like this? Will a manway/manhole compromise the integrity of the boilermaker?

Cheers.

Akkis.
Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Modifying a 55 gal boilermaker
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:43:36 am »
tried a shopvac?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:47:53 am »
Contact Blichmann, John has been good responding to e-mails. If he doesn't have a solution, it could give him a product idea.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:56 am »
Id look for a way to tip it on its side if i where you.  Ala the Morebeer Tippy Dump

http://morebeer.com/products/20-gallon-tippydump-brewsculpture.html

Some sort of Eye holes with a few wellplaces ropes could probably give yout he proper leverage to pick it up, tilt it, and place it back down gently.

Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:38:10 am »
Contact Blichmann, John has been good responding to e-mails. If he doesn't have a solution, it could give him a product idea.

This ^^^^^

John has been very responsive, and I'd like to hear the his resolve to this as well. Please post your findings.
Ron Price

Offline Exarchides

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:51:07 am »
Thanks everyone. I sent an email to Blichmann. Will let you know what they say about this.
I havent tried a shopvac. I will give it a go this weekend.
Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:56:45 am »
I think the tip dump would be much easier to engineer at home than a door that seals.

Offline Exarchides

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 11:02:30 am »
I have found these, http://archonind.com/ProcessEquip/Manways/ManwayB.asp and i have a buddy that can cut the kettle and make sanitary welds, but i want to be certain before i order one of them.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 11:13:18 am »
I think the tip dump would be much easier to engineer at home than a door that seals.

I think it would also be easier to shovel things out of the radius of the top then a little manyway at the bottom.

2Cents
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 03:10:50 pm »

I do this with 210 gallons vessel.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Exarchides

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 10:02:03 am »
I heard back from Blichmann today. The response i got was "We have not had any experience with this type of modification. Due to the high variety of specifics I don’t feel comfortable saying you will have success with the addition of a manway. I would recommend working with a highly reputable metal shop."
I will try the shopvack suggested method, and i'll see what i can do to rig a "tippy". I will leave the manway as a last resort.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 10:12:51 am »
I heard back from Blichmann today. The response i got was "We have not had any experience with this type of modification. Due to the high variety of specifics I don’t feel comfortable saying you will have success with the addition of a manway. I would recommend working with a highly reputable metal shop."
I will try the shopvack suggested method, and i'll see what i can do to rig a "tippy". I will leave the manway as a last resort.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Since you have access to a metal worker i would rig 3 eyebolts near the rim some where, 2 to carryt he weight picking up, and an additional 1 to carryt he weight when tipping/putting down, and 1 on the side near the bottom to carry the weight when putting down, so essentially you pick it up with the 2, use the bottom loop to change the engle, and put er back down on its side.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Modifying a 55 gal boilermaker
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 02:23:41 pm »
If it is too have you need to put the pot in the cradle. That is how's me is done.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com