Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speidel Owners  (Read 2210 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Speidel Owners
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:28:58 pm »
For the Speidel fermenter owners out there...do you use the optional valve instead of the cap?

How do you like it compared to just using a standard racking cane?

Offline pegli

• 1st Kit
Re: Speidel Owners
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 06:18:24 pm »
I use the 30L model for my 5 gallon batches and always use the valve to drain into a keg.  I do see a few little chunky bits go through the line when I first start transferring, but at worst it means the first pint from the tap is a bit cloudy, which is fine with me.  HomeBrewTalk member BSD_Glass wrote a post describing how to build a rotating racking arm for a Spiedel fermentor here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=449546&page=3.  That setup might help reduce the amount of yeast/trub during transfer.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 05:17:06 am »
I don't have Speidel equip but I do have fermenters with spigots.  On the inside they point down so yeast/trub does not get into them. http://www.williamsbrewing.com/mobile/INVERT-TUBE-BACKNUT-P179.aspx I prefer using the spigots over a racking cane. Much easier to operate and clean IMO.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:20:03 am by BrewBama »

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 06:14:51 am »
I once owned a 60L Speidel and used the spigot every time, it was super convenient and way better than a standard racking cane.

I sold it because it was too heavy when full to lift in/out of my chamber.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 06:16:08 am »
I use the Speidel spigot. It is very fast. It does grab some trub, but, it's only enough to foul up the first pint out of the keg. Frankly, I am not very talented with the autosiphon. I get about the same amount of trub using it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 06:55:30 am »
I use the speidels and I use the spigot. Not worried about a little yeast it may pick up. You'll pick up a little when you siphon, too. I normally rack into half barrel kegs, let settle out as a bright tank then rack to sixtels. You could do the same thing with cornies and if you aren't planning on moving you could blow out most of your yeast in a pint or two and have crystal clear beer for the rest of the keg.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 07:12:58 am »
I too use the spigot. I dump the very first tiny bit, take a hydrometer sample, then transfer.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 08:37:46 am »
Autosyphon here

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 12:16:17 pm »

Autosyphon here
What happened to your Turkey baster?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 12:28:41 pm »
That works too. But I bought another autosyphon and got it to quit leaking this time. So I have been using that

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 10:17:55 am »
I finally got around to using my 30L Speidel fermentation vessel for the first time after owning it for the better part of a year.  I used the solid cap, but I would not hesitate to use the cap with the valve if I was not running a yeast experiment.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 11:58:29 am »
I finally got around to using my 30L Speidel fermentation vessel for the first time after owning it for the better part of a year.  I used the solid cap, but I would not hesitate to use the cap with the valve if I was not running a yeast experiment.

Not sure how using the valve would negatively impact the yeast in the fermentor.