Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watering down beer  (Read 4445 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Watering down beer
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 10:33:03 am »
Ok. I will leave it but when I get all drunk and stupid, I'm telling my wife it's all your fault :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 10:48:16 am »
Ok. I will leave it but when I get all drunk and stupid, I'm telling my wife it's all your fault :)

well, at least half of it...:)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 06:18:57 pm »

well, at least half of it...:)

I assume you'll take the drunk but I'm left with stupid?  That would be pretty accurate really.

Since I have 3 kegs worth, here's what I've decided.  I'll keg two kegs as is and fill the last one with beer and top it up with water and put it on tap right away.  If I have a keg that I like, it won't last long enough to oxidize (heck, it barely has time to get cold sometimes).  I'll lager the rest for a couple months.

As an aside, Beersmith calculates 46 IBU on this beer so I do have a bit of room to come down but admittedly not much.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 06:28:36 pm »
Or maybe make another weaker batch and blend them. Of course if it were me, I'd just drink it as is.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 06:37:45 pm »
The problem is that I drink beer way too fast and I have to make an effort to keep my beer in the 3.5 to 4.5 range if I can.  Yes, I should exercise moderation but then again, I should exercise, period.  That's why I was after a lower ABV batch.  My plan is to use the yeast cake to do another one right away and drop out a couple lbs of pilsner malt (because that's all there is in it).

I used the WLP833 Bock Yeast so I think I'll just lie to myself and tell myself that I made a Maibock without any Vienna or Munich.  I'm easily persuaded, especially when I've been drinking.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 08:47:27 pm »

The problem is that I drink beer way too fast and I have to make an effort to keep my beer in the 3.5 to 4.5 range if I can.  Yes, I should exercise moderation but then again, I should exercise, period.  That's why I was after a lower ABV batch.  My plan is to use the yeast cake to do another one right away and drop out a couple lbs of pilsner malt (because that's all there is in it).

I used the WLP833 Bock Yeast so I think I'll just lie to myself and tell myself that I made a Maibock without any Vienna or Munich.  I'm easily persuaded, especially when I've been drinking.

Great plan.
Keep on brewing.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com