Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gambrinus Pale Malt?  (Read 5304 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Gambrinus Pale Malt?
« on: April 08, 2010, 01:23:55 pm »
I ordered a sack of GW 2-row from the LHBS.  They ordered the Gambrinus by mistake.  I haven't paid for it, yet, until I find out about it.  I've never used it.  Any feedback?  How does it compare to GW?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Gambrinus Pale Malt?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:36:01 pm »
I know a lot of people who like Gambrinus, but I'm not one of them.  I ended up with 2 sacks on a group grain buy and I got terrible efficiency and a not so great flavor from them.  One bag was almost all husk!  This may have been an anomaly, so let's see what other people say.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 01:48:30 pm »
I believe that Gambrinus packs 25kg bags rather than 50lbs.  That's about 10% more, so check the price that your being charged.  If you're paying the same/bag, you can throw an extra half pound into the grist to raise the gravity.

I bought a sack of their Pilsner malt & made a pretty good lager from that.  I've not tried Gambrinus 2-row (or GW pilsner) so I don't have a direct comparison.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 02:43:11 pm »
I've never used Gambrinus regular Pale malt.....but I have bought sacks of their ESB, Munich, Vienna, and wheat malts in the past, and thought they were excellent. 

I haven't used any for about 4 years now, though...I used to buy Gambrinus from Larry's in Seattle, and it been 5 years since I last drove to Seattle.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 06:10:09 pm »
One of my favorite PNW breweries, Double Mountain in Hood River, OR; uses Gambrinus Pils as their base malt in nearly everything they brew. I find it to be a nice alternative to European Pils malt, since I try to keep things local as much as possible when it isn't too much of a hassle. I'm guessing you have gambrinus pale, not pils, which is, IMHO, fairly similar to Briess Pale, though I rarely use it since GW 2-row is much cheaper for me.

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:51:24 pm »
15-20 of us did Saisons for a possible upstart brewery.  We tasted 6 before and all had different yeast.

Condensed Opinion-Unless you are 100% locked on Dupont, then use 3711.

I did half my batch on 3711 and half on wlp550.  I no issues with stuck ferm.  I put a kg of jaggery in the end of the boil.  Had no trouble dropping from 1.060 to .0006 -dry.

My only "Do over" would be to not use any pellets as the 2nd carboy had some extra hopiness because i had a tough time with my pickup.

****SORRY, I started on the siason thread and would up here

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 09:39:30 pm »
I really like the Gambrinus ESB malt.  Never had any efficiency problems, hull problems, and the flavor's very good -- biscuity.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge