Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Clarity Ferm  (Read 2233 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Clarity Ferm
« on: February 26, 2016, 09:32:11 pm »
Has anyone used Clarity Ferm from White Labs?  I just ordered a couple of vials because I want to try reducing the gluten in my beers.  Just wondering if there are other effects I won't like
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Clarity Ferm
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:37:34 pm »
Has anyone used Clarity Ferm from White Labs?  I just ordered a couple of vials because I want to try reducing the gluten in my beers.  Just wondering if there are other effects I won't like

Haven't used it yet, but Stone uses it in Delicious IPA . That's a killer beer - I think it's a pretty good endorsement.

http://www.stonebrewing.com/blog/beer/2015/stone-delicious-ipa
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Clarity Ferm
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:45:05 pm »
I have buddies that love the stuff and use it nearly every batch. The kolsch served at my wedding was made with clarity ferm and seemed to be as expected.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 06:14:10 am »
I've used it, too, with pretty good results.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 10:07:50 am »
I'll be submitting a gluten free article to Zymurgy in the near future and part of it describes the use of Clarity Ferm. I probably shouldn't go into much detail, but I will say that using Clarity Ferm does change the taste, not in a bad way but you can tell the difference.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 10:09:47 am »

I have tried it, although for clarity, not gluten reduction.  In terms of clarity, it made no difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 11:03:21 am »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 11:10:09 am »
Used it for about 15 batches in a row. Doesn't do much for clarifying if you don't have the problem it supposedly fixes. We aren't gluten intolerant so I don't know about that but it is supposed to work, and I've heard its what Omission uses.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 12:08:40 pm »
Used it for about 15 batches in a row. Doesn't do much for clarifying if you don't have the problem it supposedly fixes. We aren't gluten intolerant so I don't know about that but it is supposed to work, and I've heard its what Omission uses.

So now I'm curious why you use it if it doesn't clarify and you aren't gluten intolerant.  Maybe the same reason as me?  Which is to experiment.  We are going to try a gluten free/reduced diet over lent to see if it makes a difference.  That and we have some friends that have requested gluten free beer.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 03:21:40 pm »

So now I'm curious why you use it if it doesn't clarify and you aren't gluten intolerant.  Maybe the same reason as me?  Which is to experiment.  We are going to try a gluten free/reduced diet over lent to see if it makes a difference.  That and we have some friends that have requested gluten free beer.
Used. Its been two years since I've used it. Still have a couple vials floating around.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 04:23:12 pm »
From what I hear, it is way cheaper in commercial sized containers. So if your interested in using it all the time it can be more affordable.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 06:40:25 pm »

Yeah, I used it because I have a friend that is gluten intolerant. The beer (a pale ale) was still hazy, and the friend was afraid to drink it, so it was pretty much a waste of time and money. The beer was good, but the Clarity Ferm seemed to mute the flavors a bit, both hops and malt.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 05:47:50 am »
Craft Beer & Brewing had a couple articles by Dave Carpenter in their April/May 2015 issue.  You might be able to find something on their website.

edit: CB&B had a couple of articles about gluten free brewing and one method used Clarity Ferm to achieve that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:52:14 am by case thrower »
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 10:29:06 am »
I used it on my most recent Vienna Lager (it is the recipe that I brew consistently... and use as a barometer for new processes)

What I found in a sample of one is....  when I transfered from the bucket to the keg, I had essentially zero  haze and stuff settleing out.   (I usually have half of the first pull from the keg have some stuff in it.. then it is clear after that)

Taste wise, I found it be no different and no effect on mouth feel.   

I picked up two or three more vials to try it on a few batches in a row and see what it does on a consistent basis.

Do I think it is worth 2 or 3 bucks a batch?   Not really compared to Gelatin.    Do I think it works with no noticeable effect.  YES!

-- Wingnut - Cheers!