Author Topic: Brewer Bio - Gus Addkison  (Read 747 times)

Offline Gus_13

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Mason-Dixon Brew Crew
Brewer Bio - Gus Addkison
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:23:58 AM »
Who Are You (please include a picture): Andrew "Gus" Addkison 
From last year October when I shaved my beard to my Wyatt Earp mustache for No Shave November.

Home Town (City, State):  Louisville, MS but I currently live in Brandon, MS
Homebrew Club:  Havent joined any as of yet.
I've been a homebrewer since:  Sometime mid 2012.
Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share?  My first BDSA was around 1.082 and I didn't put a blow off tube on my pale.  At the time I was only using pales and didn't have anything to use for it.  I went home at lunch from work to my kitchen covered in kraussen and beer everywhere.  The beer turned out fantastic and my kitchen smelled amazing for a few days haha.
What is your favorite style(s) to brew?  Belgian and Saison style beers.
What style(s) will you never brew?  I probably won't brew many lager or pilsner beers.  Just not my favorite style.
What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out?  See below.
Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great?  First brew was a Irish Dry Stout that came out looking like a brown ale.  My friends loved it.
What is your favorite beer recipe?  My Saison that I rotate with seasonal fruits and other ingredients.
Are you a BJCP Judge?  If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging?  I am not a judge.
Do you have a good beer judging story you'd like to share with the rest of the homebrewing world?  No
Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc?  Acidulated Malt has become one of my best friends.
Describe your brew system.  All grain set up with a 10 gallon cooler and a Bayou Classic 10 gallon boil pot on a Bayou Classic burner.  In the market to upgrade to a single tier 3 pot system.
How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?  Right now about 2 times a month.
What is your favorite malt?  Why?  Best Maltz German 2-Row.  It's included in almost all of my brews.
What is your favorite hop? Why?  Saaz.  I use it in pretty much everything haha
Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast?  Wyeast 3711.  It's a BEAST!  And allows me to use other things to impart the flavors while still giving those great Saison type flavors.
Do you have a good homebrew club story you'd like to share?  I'm not currently in a club.
What haven't we asked that you would really like to answer?  Not yet!
If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him?  Probably Chad Yakobson.  He's my biggest influence right now.
Can you send a picture or two of some labels you've created for your homebrew?  No labels yet.  I use mailing labels to put the info on the bottles.
What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew?  Minneola Oranges
Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients?  Not as of yet.
How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions?  I haven't entered a competition yet.  I don't exactly brew to style often.  So that limits me at times.
Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with?  I tend to brew alone a good bit.  My roommate and best friend help out sometimes.  I also brew from time to time with a local brewery at their test brewery, Lucky Town.
Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer?  Mix of both really.  I mash inside and boil outside.
List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite?  At first I was giving all French names to my brews.  Now I'm leaning more towards names with meanings.  I'll be coming up with new names for my brews going forward.

I wanted to use this as my intro thread.  I just joined AHA a couple weeks ago.  I really like the forums here and look forward to meeting some great people and soaking up all the knowledge I can.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:29:22 AM by Gus_13 »
Brewer of Belgian-Style and Wild Beers

Santé!

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer Bio - Gus Addkison
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
Welcome to the AHA Forum Gus!

The best homebrew forum on the planet.  :)

Hop on the bus Gus...
Ron Price

Offline Gus_13

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Mason-Dixon Brew Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
Welcome to the AHA Forum Gus!

The best homebrew forum on the planet.  :)

Hop on the bus Gus...

Thanks for the welcome!  I definitely plan on enjoying my stay!

Santé!

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:08:24 AM »
Welcome !
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »
Howdy! My sister in law lives in Brandon, live the southern food!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Gus_13

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Mason-Dixon Brew Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:02:01 PM »
Welcome !

Howdy! My sister in law lives in Brandon, live the southern food!

Thank you both for the welcome!  One of the greatest things about the south is the food!

Santé!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:29:10 PM »
Welcome to the site.  I'm the only New Mexico member of Raise Your Pints, I totally support all your efforts to make all beer and homebrew accessible to everybody in the state.
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico

Offline Gus_13

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Mason-Dixon Brew Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 12:48:51 PM »
Welcome to the site.  I'm the only New Mexico member of Raise Your Pints, I totally support all your efforts to make all beer and homebrew accessible to everybody in the state.

Thanks for the support!  We are making headway but it's very slow.  I'm glad we finally got homebrew passed.  I started a little before the laws made it haha.  But hopefully we have more stuff coming down the pipeline!

Santé!

Offline dls5492

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 05:27:36 PM »
Welcome and sante!
And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17
CRAZE

Online hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:04:30 PM »
Welcome. A good place to hang out.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Gus_13

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Mason-Dixon Brew Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
Welcome and sante!

Thanks!  Santé!!

Welcome. A good place to hang out.

Thanks!  It will definitely keep me occupied.  I see myself reading a ton on here during down times.

Santé!