Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What hops play well with El Dorado?  (Read 7866 times)

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
What hops play well with El Dorado?
« on: June 21, 2016, 05:40:55 pm »
At NHC there was an ounce of El Dorado in the registration goody bag.
What other hops play well with El Dorado?
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: What hops play well with El Dorado?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 05:53:08 pm »
Lemon Drop is used along with El Dorado in Stone Delicious IPA, a nice beer. It also blends well with most American ale type hops, but the thing to know is that El Dorado is very assertive - it drowns out many hops, so it's a good idea in a hop blend to use less of it as hops like Centennial, Cascade, or Amarillo, to get a balanced hop profile. It tends to give a beer a 'sweet' candy-like character so I personally like to balance out that character with some grapefruity, piney hops like Centennial, Chinook and/or Columbus. My $0.02  .
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:36:20 pm »
El Dorado:Simcoe:Chinook

2:1:1 in the whirlpool and dry.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 04:00:52 am »
I'm brewing an APA today and my usual hop schedule is 1.25 oz. Magnum for bittering; Centennial, Cascade and Simcoe or Citra (1 oz. each) in the whirlpool;  2 oz. Amarillo dry hop.
Looks like I could sub the 1 oz. of El Dorado for the Simcoe or Citra in the whirlpool.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 10:28:38 am »
My most recent pale ale was lemon drop and el dorado. it was pretty dang good, much different than the more common citra/centennial/cascade type flavor and aroma.

i split the batch and dry hopped with elD in one half, lemon drop in the other. i preferred the lemon drop dry hop.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 12:04:15 pm »
Just finished the APA.
It's always interesting when I try something new!
I'll know if I made a good decision in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:00:53 pm by mainebrewer »

Offline Sasquatchpedalian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 01:09:04 pm »
I've used it quite a few times. My favorite pairings have been Mosaic and Eureka. Also tried it in a beer with Belma but I know that my ratio was off. If you can get that right it would probably be my favorite, I'm thinking it's probably something like 3/1 or more in favor of Belma.