Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsch glass source (stang)  (Read 11420 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Kolsch glass source (stang)
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:26:26 am »
Haven't seen this posted in a while but for those of you who don't know about Lee Valley tools they have great prices on cases of stangs (kolsch glasses). I'm about to order me another case and figured I'd share. You're welcome. ;)

http://www.leevalley.com/us/gifts/page.aspx?p=45168&cat=4,104,53200&ap=1

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Kolsch glass source (stang)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:45:11 am »
Awesome. I'll be buying a few. Thanks !
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:48:02 am »
I always like going to a brewery serving kolsch out of a stang.  Though I think it's only ever happened once... and said brewery has since gone out of business (Local Pub & Brewery, Jackson, MI).  I only managed to get in there the once but I really liked the beers and food... Though the location was a bit out of the way...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 01:00:51 pm »
I'm down to seven from the original 12. Breaking them at the rate of one a year.

+1 though. Awesome glasses!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ncbluesman

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:53:41 pm »
I bought these same glasses from Lee Valley. I really like them and they're perfect for Kolsch.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 11:30:23 am »
I hate Stangen. Gimme a Hoibe, or gtfo.

Also, it's spelled "Stange." See, I can be pedantic in two different languages now!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:33:32 am by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 11:38:32 am »
I hate Stangen. Gimme a Hoibe, or gtfo.

Also, it's spelled "Stange." See, I can be pedantic in two different languages now!

Also translates to pole, post, or rod. Descriptive of the glass shape.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 11:47:46 am »
Also also, it's spelled "Koelsch" or "Kölsch." It's a close-mid front rounded vowel. It's like the vowel sound in "bird." It's not "coal-sh," more like "curl-sh," minus the "r." If you ever make it over here, the proper pronunciation will make your life a whole lot easier.   

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 02:06:18 pm »
Also also, it's spelled "Koelsch" or "Kölsch." It's a close-mid front rounded vowel. It's like the vowel sound in "bird." It's not "coal-sh," more like "curl-sh," minus the "r." If you ever make it over here, the proper pronunciation will make your life a whole lot easier.   

I did not know that - I appreciate the correction with the spelling and pronunciation (but there are many using the "no e" spelling, including Reissdorf)    As to stanges, I have a bunch, but I found them excessively foamy for most properly carbonated beers.  They also break very easily. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 02:37:14 pm »
Pretty much like eggshell. Breaks even on the carpet.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 12:45:59 am »
I did not know that - I appreciate the correction with the spelling and pronunciation (but there are many using the "no e" spelling, including Reissdorf)   

Um, what? Reissdorf definitely spells Kölsch with an o-umlaut. If you can't make that letter, for instance if you have an English keyboard, the proper way to make umlauts is to put an e after the vowel that's supposed to have the umlaut.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 05:39:09 am »
If you can't make that letter, for instance if you have an English keyboard, the proper way to make umlauts is to put an e after the vowel that's supposed to have the umlaut.

On a Windows PC with a US-English keyboard, you can make these characters by holding down the Alt key and pressing the appropriate 4-digit code:

ä = Alt + 0228
ë = Alt + 0235
ï = Alt + 0239
ö = Alt + 0246
ü = Alt + 0252
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 07:03:39 am »
I see - use the umlauts or add the "e".  Got it now.  I had quite a few different brands that I liked, especially half liter cans of Früh, and for iPads, you can simply hold down the letter and it gives you choices of uses, including umlauts.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 07:19:40 am »
I realize there is supposed to be an umlaut but I personally don't care and I think it looks stupid (and pedantic) with the "e" after the "o" and I'm not about to try to figure out how to do the umlaut on my keyboard so suck it up and deal with it. KOLSCH!

And I like my little kolsch glasses. One or two of those is all I care for of a kolsch anyway.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 08:24:48 am »
I realize there is supposed to be an umlaut but I personally don't care and I think it looks stupid (and pedantic) with the "e" after the "o" and I'm not about to try to figure out how to do the umlaut on my keyboard so suck it up and deal with it. KOLSCH!

God bless America! That attitude is exactly why people are so surprised I'm here. Everyone thinks Americans know best, in every situation, and don't care what anyone else thinks about anything.

I've also seen one of only two other Americans I've met here arguing with a German about who the president of Germany is. (Hint: It's Joachim Gauck, not Angela Merkel.)