Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Venting - literally and figuratively  (Read 1862 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Venting - literally and figuratively
« on: January 14, 2016, 08:09:42 am »
Went to take a sample of a lager that I'd cold crashed, opened up the bottom valve of my fermentor, forgetting about the vacuum created during cold crashing and air was actually sucked in the bottom until I quickly closed the valve.  Lesson learned, but god I hate when I make stupid mistakes... SMH.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
Re: Venting - literally and figuratively
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 11:46:18 am »
Went to take a sample of a lager that I'd cold crashed, opened up the bottom valve of my fermentor, forgetting about the vacuum created during cold crashing and air was actually sucked in the bottom until I quickly closed the valve.  Lesson learned, but god I hate when I make stupid mistakes... SMH.

I did ta similar thing with a keg of lager the other day when I went to jump it from a keg I was using for secondary/lagering/gelatin to what would have been the serving keg.  forgot to adjust pressures over various vessels and basically belched a bunch of air/guess down the dip tube of the lagered/settled beer.  Now I have to wait for it to settle and clear again.  Hoping I did not introduce oxygen to it as well.  I was in a hurry trying to do about 3 different brewing chores at once..... Seems I am good for one bonehead move every few months or so.   

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 12:38:56 pm »
That sucks, Paul. You think it will affect the beer at all? I really hate when I do sh*t like that too.
Jesse

Offline blatz

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 12:44:34 pm »
That sucks, Paul. You think it will affect the beer at all? I really hate when I do sh*t like that too.

I'm really hoping not, it has promise to be a really good helles.  The more I think about it, it was a brief, < 1 second bubble that forced its way up into the headspace of the fermentor quickly.  it wasn't 'aerated' per se, mixing into the beer and there is still a lot of vacuum force judging by the suction on the stopper.  hoping that the 'oxygen scavenging' properties of the yeast still in the beer will save my arse.

@braufessor - funny that happened to you as well.  fingers crossed for us both.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 12:48:40 pm »
I bet it'll be fine. My last black IPA I thought was a goner when I siphoned it to the keg. I had bought a new hose for my auto siphon and it was the wrong size apparently. It would start the siphon and then half the hose would only fill with beer. I had to keep pumping it and eventually I just took the f*cking hose off and siphoned it the old way. But half the beer was siphoned with this frustrating BS and there was lots of cussing going on. Glad no one was around.
Well anyway, that beer turned out to be one of my best beers in a long time. The keg is long gone now. Was surprised at that. I just thought the whole time about Mark V. saying that homebrewers worry way too much about O2 pickup when siphoning. Maybe we do, but it doesn't hurt to worry a little about it. In this case, I got lucky.
Jesse

Offline blatz

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 01:38:23 pm »
But half the beer was siphoned with this frustrating BS and there was lots of cussing going on. Glad no one was around.
Well anyway, that beer turned out to be one of my best beers in a long time. The keg is long gone now. Was surprised at that. I just thought the whole time about Mark V. saying that homebrewers worry way too much about O2 pickup when siphoning. Maybe we do, but it doesn't hurt to worry a little about it. In this case, I got lucky.

glad to hear there is some similar experience with a good outcome.  I recall mark saying that as well - hopefully it holds true. 

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 04:34:55 pm »

@braufessor - funny that happened to you as well.  fingers crossed for us both.

Ha - mine was a Helles too... gonna check it this weekend again and get it transferred properly.  I have done similar types of things from time to time over the years - don't ever remember it "ruining" a beer.  Hopefully we will both be fine.

narvin

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 05:25:35 pm »
I think a little oxidation goes a long way with a lager.  Emphasis on little, but still, maybe you hit the jackpot with the right amount  ;)