Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsch glass source (stang)  (Read 11397 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Kolsch glass source (stang)
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 08:29:26 am »
I don't think that is a fair assessment. I'm not going over to Europe wearing my 'merican flag ball cap and going to eat at McDonalds and complaining when people don't speak English. I just don't know how to make an umlaut on my computer. So chill the hell out with your aspersions.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 08:47:35 am »
I don't think that is a fair assessment. I'm not going over to Europe wearing my 'merican flag ball cap and going to eat at McDonalds and complaining when people don't speak English. I just don't know how to make an umlaut on my computer. So chill the hell out with your aspersions.

Well, I don't think it's an aspersion, more an observation based upon what you actually said, which was:

I realize there is supposed to be an umlaut but I personally don't care and I think it looks stupid . . . so suck it up and deal with it. KOLSCH!

Which to me, sounds like "I realize (I spelled it wrong), but I think (the proper spelling of German words) looks stupid, so suck it up and deal with (my improper spelling.) KOLSCH!"
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 10:39:57 am »
Well, you are taking what I said out of context. I don't know how to make an umlaut on my iPhone, iPad, Mac or PC and I'm too old to give a damn about figuring out how to do it. The umlaut is implied in my "kolsch". Please pretend it is there.

Now, if you will excuse me I have better things to do this Sunday than argue with someone over the internet.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 11:29:02 am »
Well, you are taking what I said out of context. I don't know how to make an umlaut on my iPhone, iPad, Mac or PC and I'm too old to give a damn about figuring out how to do it. The umlaut is implied in my "kolsch". Please pretend it is there.

Now, if you will excuse me I have better things to do this Sunday than argue with someone over the internet.
I've been taught that if you can't make an umlaut, the the correct spelling would be with an "e".  It's not difficult.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 12:41:11 pm »
If you can't make that letter, for instance if you have an English keyboard, the proper way to make umlauts is to put an e after the vowel that's supposed to have the umlaut.

On a Windows PC with a US-English keyboard, you can make these characters by holding down the Alt key and pressing the appropriate 4-digit code:

ä = Alt + 0228
ë = Alt + 0235
ï = Alt + 0239
ö = Alt + 0246
ü = Alt + 0252

What language uses ë or ï? Never saw those in German.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

Kolsch glass source (stang)
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 12:44:38 pm »
On a mac press option+u, let go of option, then o.  On iOS hold the o down and options pop up.

Edit --- changed u to o.  Works with u too.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:49:23 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 12:50:15 pm »
If you can't make that letter, for instance if you have an English keyboard, the proper way to make umlauts is to put an e after the vowel that's supposed to have the umlaut.

On a Windows PC with a US-English keyboard, you can make these characters by holding down the Alt key and pressing the appropriate 4-digit code:

ä = Alt + 0228
ë = Alt + 0235
ï = Alt + 0239
ö = Alt + 0246
ü = Alt + 0252

Someone must if they're there, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%8F
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%8B
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 12:54:48 pm »
I've been taught that if you can't make an umlaut, the the correct spelling would be with an "e".  It's not difficult.

You sir, are 100% correct. Apparently web addresses don't support umlauts, so pretty much the only time you see the vowel+e format here is for websites.

ë and ï I've seen in French, and apparently it's also used in Dutch, and some eastern European/west Asian languages.

Edit: oops, Eric beat me to it.

I know it seems like a pretty nit-picky thing, but if I met a Chinese guy who said "I love drinking Cars Banquet, it's my favorite beer." I'd probably tell him "Naw dog, it's spelled 'Coors.' Also, drink better beer."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:01:52 pm by nateo »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 01:11:57 pm »
Im still tryiing to figure out how Curl sounds without the R... I'm thinkng it would be just cl, like clam without the am.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 01:47:38 pm »
Im still tryiing to figure out how Curl sounds without the R... I'm thinkng it would be just cl, like clam without the am.

Pronunciations vary a bit by region, but here are some examples:
http://www.forvo.com/word/kölsch/#de

The pronunciation from Thonatas is the closest to how it sounds in the local dialect. The lady from Switzerland has a weird accent, but Swiss German in general is a lot different from High German.

The vowel sound is the same as the e in "le" in French, which is also hard for English speakers to pronounce properly. U and ü are really difficult to differentiate as well. My German has gotten a lot better since I've been here, but there have been a lot of times I've said something and people thought I said something else. For instance, "Juni" and "Uni" are two different words, as are "Trauben" and "traben."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:52:43 pm by nateo »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 07:10:36 am »

So funny... because I knew when I posted this that there would be a berating because of the spelling since I didn't use a frickin' umlaut. Guys, I just wanted to share a frickin' link to some frickin' glasses. Wish I would have never posted the damn thing. Sheesh!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 07:41:17 am »
Guys, I just wanted to share a frickin' link to some frickin' glasses. Wish I would have never posted the damn thing. Sheesh!

Well, I'm glad you did. Ignoring the bickering about umlauts and e's everywhere, I now know where to get the glasses when the mood strikes. :D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 07:48:21 am »
Guys, I just wanted to share a frickin' link to some frickin' glasses. Wish I would have never posted the damn thing. Sheesh!

Well, I'm glad you did. Ignoring the bickering about umlauts and e's everywhere, I now know where to get the glasses when the mood strikes. :D

+1.  Glad to have the link - ordered some already. Personally, I think it's ok to type the word as 'kolsch'. Just a beer, not world peace.    ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:59:03 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 07:51:50 am »

I don't know... It's a bit like someone typing they found the perfect glass to drink stowoot out of.

With that said the link is great and I thank you for it ;D

+1.  Glad to have the link - ordered some already. Personally, I think it's ok to type the word kolsch. Just a beer, not world peace.    ;)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 07:57:03 am »
Let us not forget that we're all perfectly OK with American spellings of other German words - including 'German' and also 'beer'.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958