Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsch glass source (stang)  (Read 11394 times)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Kolsch glass source (stang)
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 08:03:16 am »
Let us not forget that we're all perfectly OK with American spellings of other German words - including 'German' and also 'beer'.
I think those are just English spellings of those words... The English spelling of Kölsch is Koelsch.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 08:06:27 am »
If I ever hear a German man pronounce an american "w" as "v" I'm going to punch him right in his chops!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 08:12:32 am »
Let us not forget that we're all perfectly OK with American spellings of other German words - including 'German' and also 'beer'.
I think those are just English spellings of those words... The English spelling of Kölsch is Koelsch.
Point taken - though neither Kölsch nor Koelsch appear in any English dictionary I can find.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 08:24:14 am »
English has lots of loan words. Once a word gets in the dictionary, I'm fine with Anglicized spellings. For instance, "resume" and "entrepreneur" don't need the accent aigu. There comes a point where the language changes before the dictionary does, but I don't think we're there yet with "Kolsch." It seems like most beer books, style guides, etc. use the proper German spelling still.

@ Dkfick - the "e after vowel if you can't write the umlaut" rule is a German rule, not an English rule, afaik. I believe the "proper" notation in English also involves italicizing foreign words, but that doesn't seem common anymore.

Language changes over time and all that, but I'm not ready to give up on spelling yet.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 08:38:53 am »
Ah yeah I guess it is.. I was just seeing it as the 'English translation' on some sites.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 08:55:10 am »
Well, you are taking what I said out of context. I don't know how to make an umlaut on my iPhone, iPad, Mac or PC and I'm too old to give a damn about figuring out how to do it. The umlaut is implied in my "kolsch". Please pretend it is there.

Now, if you will excuse me I have better things to do this Sunday than argue with someone over the internet.
I've been taught that if you can't make an umlaut, the the correct spelling would be with an "e".  It's not difficult.

So funny... because I knew when I posted this that there would be a berating because of the spelling since I didn't use a frickin' umlaut. Guys, I just wanted to share a frickin' link to some frickin' glasses. Wish I would have never posted the damn thing. Sheesh!

Keith, through all of this I have learned that the brewery in Bend OR called Brew Wërks was not just making crap up.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 08:57:00 am »
Guys, I just wanted to share a frickin' link to some frickin' glasses. Wish I would have never posted the damn thing. Sheesh!

Well, I'm glad you did. Ignoring the bickering about umlauts and e's everywhere, I now know where to get the glasses when the mood strikes. :D

+1.  Glad to have the link - ordered some already. Personally, I think it's ok to type the word as 'kolsch'. Just a beer, not world peace.    ;)

or whirled peas

Offline Stevie

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 09:09:53 am »
Just to keep this language tangent going...

I would like to confess to going on Wikipedia and changing tyres to tires. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2014, 09:48:17 am »
I realize there is supposed to be an umlaut but I personally don't care and I think it looks stupid (and pedantic) with the "e" after the "o" and I'm not about to try to figure out how to do the umlaut on my keyboard so suck it up and deal with it. KOLSCH!

And I like my little kolsch glasses. One or two of those is all I care for of a kolsch anyway.

I bet you eat Freedom Fries, too!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 10:10:33 am »
@ dkfick - it's more transliteration than translation.

@ Jeff -Wërks is indeed gibberish. I really hate the random, "we think this sounds Euro" umlaut. Unless you're Mötley Crüe or Spın̈al Tap, then you get a pass.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2014, 10:15:27 am »
I realize there is supposed to be an umlaut but I personally don't care and I think it looks stupid (and pedantic) with the "e" after the "o" and I'm not about to try to figure out how to do the umlaut on my keyboard so suck it up and deal with it. KOLSCH!

And I like my little kolsch glasses. One or two of those is all I care for of a kolsch anyway.

I bet you eat Freedom Fries, too!  ;)

I'm more of a sweet potato fry guy.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2014, 10:22:44 am »
I guess I've also been pronouncing Mötley Crüe wrong  :)
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2014, 10:25:38 am »
I guess I've also been pronouncing Mötley Crüe wrong  :)

Apparently when the band first visited Germany, they were surprised to hear everyone pronounce it properly. I guess they thought the umlauts were purely decorative?

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
  • So much to beer, so little time to brew it all...
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2014, 11:40:21 am »
Mötley Crüe = "Mihtley Kroo-eh" (at leas that's as close as I can get, but the "ih" should have some "uh" in it.) 
I love this thread!
(Manchmal vermisse ich meine Zeit an der Uni Koeln, und auch das Koelsch!).

Cheers!

- Brian
------------------------------------------
Fermenting: west-coast IPA
Bottled:60 schilling, 70 schilling, maple porter, wheat porter

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2014, 11:45:48 am »
Das wurst im meine hosen ist gross