Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Foam pattern in pint  (Read 3908 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Foam pattern in pint
« on: April 23, 2014, 08:33:30 am »
Anyone ever get this in their beer? What would be a cause of this? Is it excess proteins? I seem to get this a lot on my light lagers. Sorry for the gigantic size, not sure how to resize it and post it.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:42:42 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Foam pattern in pint
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:35:44 am »
cant see pic...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:39:13 am »
Really? Dang. I can see it, it's just very large. Let me try and resize it and post again.

EDIT: I resized it. Hopefully you can see it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:42:57 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:19 am »
I get that every once in a while.  Don't know why.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:45:19 am »
I wonder if infection could be a cause of that?
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:46:04 am »
I wonder if infection could be a cause of that?

No idea, but I don't recall the beers of mine that looked like that being infected.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:49:27 am »
Hmm. This particular beer I think may have been. It was a helles that developed a bit of a ripe fruit flavor. But I've got a helles on tap now that is also doing this that tastes fine after 5 weeks of lagering. I mean, it's an aesthetic thing, but it's weird looking and I kind of don't like it. I just wonder if there's something I can do differently to avoid it. This beer was a Hochkurz step mash, fermented at 50 with Wyeast 2278, 100% Best pils malt.
I've never seen this in commercial beers, so it makes me think something is wrong.
Jesse

Offline blatz

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:51:49 am »
can see it now.

i've seen that before, but don't know the cause.  I would think fats or oils would cause that more than proteins, but lets see what some of the others say.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline blatz

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 08:59:09 am »
Hmm. This particular beer I think may have been. It was a helles that developed a bit of a ripe fruit flavor. But I've got a helles on tap now that is also doing this that tastes fine after 5 weeks of lagering. I mean, it's an aesthetic thing, but it's weird looking and I kind of don't like it. I just wonder if there's something I can do differently to avoid it. This beer was a Hochkurz step mash, fermented at 50 with Wyeast 2278, 100% Best pils malt.
I've never seen this in commercial beers, so it makes me think something is wrong.

I've seen that in Sam Adams Boston Lager often.  i hate to say this, since I know you're not a rookie, but are you using beer clean glasses?  just wondering if some soap residue could cause that. 

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 09:09:32 am »
It's possible, but I always rinse my glass before pouring a beer.
Jesse

narvin

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 09:24:29 am »
I've seen that occasionally too.  I thought maybe it was some kind of powdery yeast that didn't flocculate well, perhaps due to poor handling?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:26:15 am by narvin »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:26:20 am »
I get that sometimes, too.  Going by memory, I believe it's typically when I have a beer with a large initial head and wind up with these floating islands when it settles.  I've assumed it's whatever proteins were in the head when it formed initially that coagulate into clumps and then get ingested.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 10:43:49 am »
I get that sometimes, too.  Going by memory, I believe it's typically when I have a beer with a large initial head and wind up with these floating islands when it settles.  I've assumed it's whatever proteins were in the head when it formed initially that coagulate into clumps and then get ingested.
This is what I was thinking. The beer does pour with a large head although it's not over carbonated or anything. I only seem to get it on my light lagers however, which is what confuses me.
Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 12:42:46 pm »
Looks like the remains of the head to me. I see that stuff all the time- particularly on pale beers. Never really thought that much about it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 12:48:46 pm »

+1.  That was always my thought.
Jon H.