Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Back from the dead  (Read 1080 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Back from the dead
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:14:22 am »
I attempted to cold crash a couple batches yesterday (normally use the refrigerator, but ended up adding ice to a bucket and placing the one gallon carboy in there). Overnight, the ice melted and the temp got back into the low 60's in the water. This morning I saw some small bubbles and was curious if this was yeast waking back up.

I've since stuck it in the refrigerator but I'm curious if I need to still ferment out for a while.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Back from the dead
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:25:17 am »
Bubbles could be CO2 coming out of solution as it warms. You'd have to check the gravity to know if it is that or new fermentation. Were you certain that fermentation was over?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 08:38:35 am »
Nope. 11 days plus a few dry hoped. I haven't bothered w readings on these one gallon batches.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 11:39:38 am »
Nope. 11 days plus a few dry hoped. I haven't bothered w readings on these one gallon batches.

You can't manage what you don't measure. Take a reading or maybe invest refractometer if you don't want to sacrifice the volume for hydrometer readings in smaller batches.  You won't get accurate readings post fermentation with a refractometer but you can determine if the gravity continues to decrease or if it's finished with just a few drops. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:26:22 am »
Well, at > 2 weeks it's likely done. You can't know for sure if you don't take a reading, but I'm often lazy about FG readings with normal strength beers.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958