Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Azacca Single hop IPA tasting notes  (Read 18209 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Azacca Single hop IPA tasting notes
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 12:33:51 pm »
Aha!  I get it.  Thank you all.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »
If you are adding so much gypsum to the mash that all the extra calcium is pushing the pH of the mash too low, couldn't you just reserve a portion of your gypsum addition for the kettle and avoid the need to add alkalinity back to the mash?

Since calcium lowers mash pH by reacting with malt phytin, adding gypsum to the kettle wouldn't lower the kettle pH correct?  Or is there sufficient phytin remaining and carried over to the kettle that it would affect kettle pH?

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 08:24:56 am »
5.4 is fine for hop focused beers and that is what I aim for when brewing PAs and IPAs. The problem is that if I don't add a bit of lime to my water (its RO too), the mash pH will be too low and that echos into the kettle pH.

martin - I'm scratching my noggin here as well.  I checked last night, and the water recipe I use for one of my house IPA recipes is strictly gypsum, calcium chloride and a bit of epsom (although i know you've been saying recently the latter may not be important).

this particular recipe has an estimated mash pH of 5.4, SRM of 6.4.

what gives - is your IPA a lot darker, hence needing the PL to get back up to 5.4?  I should have looked at my other house recipe which is a bit darker to see what i do with that one, but I was rushing this morning before work and was looking up before i left in order to pose this question.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 08:35:08 am »
Do you use a lot of gypsum though , Paul ?  Depending on grist, using 300ppm will sometimes drop my estimated pH to 5.3. That's when I bump it back up to 5.4 with baking soda.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 08:38:09 am »
Do you use a lot of gypsum though , Paul ?  Depending on grist, using 300ppm will sometimes drop my estimated pH to 5.3. That's when I bump it back up to 5.4 with baking soda.

I target 250, can't remember the Cl level, but its low, maybe 8:1 sulfate:chloride, can't remember.

I also start with RO like Martin and I believe you as well.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 08:43:58 am »
Yeah, RO, 300 sulfate, ~ 40 chloride.  I think there's a threshold right there that drops me to 5.3, I guess.
Jon H.