Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fundraiser Question  (Read 11102 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Fundraiser Question
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 10:45:22 am »
One fest - they only do the SoCal fest. NCHF is put on by a whole other group.

And the one fest wasn't always the case with them, they also used to do talks, etc. But leaving it at the one fest was what I think ultimately made them vulnerable to the ABC. Now they offer discounts and are starting to gear up for more events.

And never doubt that a negative enforcement agency like the ABC, if given room, can squash your license because your hair offends the field agent or something equally silly. (This is often one of the most frustrating things about the ABC or building inspections - how the rules are interpreted all depend on who's the one doing the interp. Take for example the ability of folks in NorCal to have a commercial festival with homebrew pouring at it. We tried to get that cleared down here only to get shut down by our local office.

We haven't been able to do that in a while actually. My club poured at a festival two or three years ago and then the ABC noticed apparently and said no more.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
Re: Fundraiser Question
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 10:07:12 pm »
I like Tasty's twitter comment a few weeks ago regarding the CA ABC....."they are a dictatorship with no real army".   As has been pointed out the rules/interpretations vary based on whose particular jurisdiction you are in. Frustrating to say the least!!! I think that in a lot of ways we need to stop asking permission( the answer is almost always NO!) and start begging forgiveness IF they actually try to stop us.  Now obviously you won't be able to put on an event with several thousand beer drinkers but a smaller one with perhaps a 100-200 is certainly manageable.  In fact they happen on a pretty regular basis....