Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Foam pattern in pint  (Read 3909 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Foam pattern in pint
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 12:58:23 pm »
Alright, well you guys are making me feel better about it. I just wonder if it has anything to do with the malt or my mashing process. Or worse, an infection. I can't taste anything off, but I can't help but wonder sometimes.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 01:12:54 pm »
IME, if you keep searching for an off flavor you'll find something.  Whether it is there or not.

I would not worry about the foamy floaty stuff. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 02:00:31 pm »
IME, if you keep searching for an off flavor you'll find something.  Whether it is there or not.

I would not worry about the foamy floaty stuff. 
Ain't that the truth...ugh. I need to learn to stop searching so hard for faults and just enjoy the beer.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:51:24 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 02:41:35 pm »

that is so true...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 03:18:12 pm »
+1 on looking for faults that aren't there. Usually whatever perceived fault has me irritated isn't there in a day or two when I come back to it.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 07:40:47 pm »
I'm more worried about glaring faults. >:( And those still crop up from time to time... ;)

RDWHAHB
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 10:27:08 am »
I think that if you look closely you would be able to use the patterns in the  foam to foretell the future.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 12:03:00 pm »
I think it has to do with foam formation and physics stuff that is beyond me.  I have a Perlick forward sealing tap and I can put extra foam in a beer by pushing back on the tap...that results in the "island clumping foam" for me.  I never have had anyone refuse to drink it because of that foam pattern!  That is the ultimate question.  I am quite sure that it isn't a problem, though appearance in a comp might suffer in that instance, if you have a judge that expects the head to last longer...otherwise I say it's pretty normal.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Stevie

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 12:25:37 pm »

I think that if you look closely you would be able to use the patterns in the  foam to foretell the future.

Lacing can be used to tell the future. Everybody knows that.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 03:41:48 pm »
I think it has to do with foam formation and physics stuff that is beyond me.  I have a Perlick forward sealing tap and I can put extra foam in a beer by pushing back on the tap...that results in the "island clumping foam" for me.  I never have had anyone refuse to drink it because of that foam pattern!  That is the ultimate question.  I am quite sure that it isn't a problem, though appearance in a comp might suffer in that instance, if you have a judge that expects the head to last longer...otherwise I say it's pretty normal.
That's a good point. It doesn't happen when I clear the lines first before pouring a full pint, which results in less foam and no island patches of foam. I just wonder what would be causing it because I never see it when I get a heady pour at a bar or from a bottle.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 03:46:10 pm »
That's a good point. It doesn't happen when I clear the lines first before pouring a full pint, which results in less foam and no island patches of foam. I just wonder what would be causing it because I never see it when I get a heady pour at a bar or from a bottle.

That's a good point - I wonder if it's a filtering thing ? Most of us don't (and wouldn't) filter, but a decent amount of the stuff you get in a bar has been filtered, at least coarsely. Maybe the coarse filtering removes some of the proteins that could cause that. Who knows.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 03:54:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've gotten this with Guinness Extra Stout.  I'm willing to take one for the team and test it this evening.  Not sure I have any in the fridge though.

As far as reading the future, when I read the lacing I usually see... another beer in my future.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2014, 01:09:48 pm »
Joe sr. Did you check it out? The weird thing with my current helles is that the pattern goes away after maybe half the beer...I just don't get it.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2014, 03:40:53 pm »
I had an Extra Stout and it did seem to do the same thing. I don't think the "clumps" were as solid as they are sometimes with homebrew, but the head did fall into smaller clumps.

I should have taken a picture, but I was in the midst of grilling burgers and keeping the kids away from the grill.