Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Prepping Fruit and Extraction  (Read 1437 times)

Offline brewcrew7

• Cellarman
Prepping Fruit and Extraction
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:01:54 am »
This probably has been addressed many times over the years but I've got my first fruited beer in secondary now and have some questions. The beer is an old ale with prunes, sultanas and zante currants - a mix for a possible "Christmas pudding" seasonal ale. I steeped the fruits whole or coarsely sliced in spiced rum for 1-2 weeks before dumping everything into secondary. I've done this before with simple liqueurs.

I've seen reference to making a puree in a blender and heating on the stovetop to create a soupy paste and then to deglaze the pan with the fermented beer, wine, etc. and then to add to secondary. Has anyone done this and to what advantage/disadvantage over extraction in alcohol (high proof or otherwise)? Do I need to worry about pectin levels? Could this method apply to all fruits and other misc ingredients?

Fermentation restarted when I added the fruit and it's been 2 months in the carboy. While the beer tastes different from the base, I'm not sure I got good extraction.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Prepping Fruit and Extraction
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:56:47 am »
I have used raisins, dates, and figs in a similar manner.  I don't puree them, just chop them up a bit.  Super heat a wok over my brewing burner and toss the fruit it.  After it caramelizes for a minute or tow, I deglaze with some if the beer.  That all goes into secondary and the rest of the beer gets racked on top.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell