Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gaelic ale clone adjustment suggestions  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Gaelic ale clone adjustment suggestions
« on: May 03, 2014, 07:04:11 pm »
So I'm trying to clone Highland brewing's Gaelic Ale. My first attempt was great but not as close to the original as I'd like. It was a bit more bitter and had less of a hop flavor which is decidedly grapefruit in the original. I'm thinking to get it closer I'd reduce my Sulfate to around 100 and chloride to around 50. Then reducing my hop bitterness slightly and dry hop a 1/4 ounce of cascade.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

This was my water profile and recipe:
ca: 135
mg: 16
na: 2.6                                       
Chloride: 83                                                     
Sulfate: 154 
Alk: 117                                   
RA: 11       

2.5 gallon batch:
3 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 55.3 %
1 lbs 6.1 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 25.5 %
9.5 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.0 %
4.8 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.5 %
2.4 oz Extra Special (Briess) (130.0 SRM)

35 IBU
First wort hops:
0.08 oz Chinook [11.60 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 7.9 IBUs

Boil hops:
0.23 oz Chinook [11.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 18.8 IBUs

Steeped Hops
0.21 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 1.9 IBUs
0.21 oz Willamette [5.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 1.4 IBUs
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:16:49 pm by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Gaelic ale clone adjustment suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »
So I'm trying to clone Highland brewing's Gaelic Ale. My first attempt was great but not as close to the original as I'd like. It was a bit more bitter and had less of a hop flavor which is decidedly grapefruit in the original. I'm thinking to get it closer I'd reduce my Sulfate to around 100 and chloride to around 50. Then reducing my hop bitterness slightly and dry hop a 1/4 ounce of cascade.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

This was my water profile and recipe:
ca: 135
mg: 16
na: 2.6                                       
Chloride: 83                                                     
Sulfate: 154 
Alk: 117                                   
RA: 11       

2.5 gallon batch:
3 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 55.3 %
1 lbs 6.1 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 25.5 %
9.5 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.0 %
4.8 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.5 %
2.4 oz Extra Special (Briess) (130.0 SRM)

35 IBU
First wort hops:
0.08 oz Chinook [11.60 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 7.9 IBUs

Boil hops:
0.23 oz Chinook [11.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 18.8 IBUs

Steeped Hops
0.21 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 1.9 IBUs
0.21 oz Willamette [5.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 1.4 IBUs

I've never had the original, but I like the looks of the recipe.  As for that, just cutting back sulfate to 100ppm will make bitterness a little less intense. Obviously you could cut back a little on hopping if you think you need it. If you're looking for some grapefruit flavor, Centennial is more citrusy/grapefruity to me than Cascade which I find more floral/pine. I'd dry hop an oz of Centennial. Good luck !
Jon H.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:59:17 pm »
I've never had the original, but I like the looks of the recipe.  As for that, just cutting back sulfate to 100ppm will make bitterness a little less intense. Obviously you could cut back a little on hopping if you think you need it. If you're looking for some grapefruit flavor, Centennial is more citrusy/grapefruity to me than Cascade which I find more floral/pine. I'd dry hop an oz of Centennial. Good luck !

Should I do a full ounce of dry hop for a 2.5 gallon batch size? I must admit I've only been brewing for a little over a year now and I'm just beginning to investigate the dry hop technique :D
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:03:54 pm »

Should I do a full ounce of dry hop for a 2.5 gallon batch size? I must admit I've only been brewing for a little over a year now and I'm just beginning to investigate the dry hop technique :D

You know, I forgot about your batch size. I don't know what level of hop flavor the original has, so it's tough to assess. I dry hop 4-6 oz in an AIPA, 2.5 oz for an APA. An oz in yours would be the equivalent of 2 oz in 5 gallons - pretty much pale ale level flavor. Is that what you're looking for? If not, a little less would be fine too.
Jon H.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 08:18:31 pm »

You know, I forgot about your batch size. I don't know what level of hop flavor the original has, so it's tough to assess. I dry hop 4-6 oz in an AIPA, 2.5 oz for an APA. An oz in yours would be the equivalent of 2 oz in 5 gallons - pretty much pale ale level flavor. Is that what you're looking for? If not, a little less would be fine too.
Actually, that sounds about right. Gaelic ale is brewed much like an American amber so it's a close cousin to a pale ale. Sounds like an ounce is a perfect starting point! Thanks for the help.
Corripe Cervisiam