Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Have you ever ......  (Read 4464 times)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Have you ever ......
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:52:22 pm »
Have you tried this and did it work for you?

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/how-not-to-get-drunk

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: Have you ever ......
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 01:01:59 pm »
Nope, but now I want to...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 01:02:29 pm »
That's a first. Gotta try it.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 01:19:17 pm »
I gotta say, I'm skeptical.  But I'll try it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 01:25:54 pm »
I gotta say, I'm skeptical.  But I'll try it.

Me too! The wife has plenty of bread yeast around at all times.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 01:36:31 pm »
I wonder if there are any side effects from this...I mean beer festivals, especially the ones indoors, can be a bit overwhelming as it is.  :-[
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 01:47:40 pm »
I too am skeptical. I think the more logical explanation is he is plastered all the time.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 02:43:02 pm »
If I'm understanding the concept correctly you could accomplish the same thing by downing a shot of yeast from the fermenter. It can't be yeast metabolism at work otherwise beer would get less alcoholic as it ages so the enzyme must be present in quantity in that tsp of yeast. also should means really yeasty beers should get less alcoholic over time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 02:45:26 pm »
“One teaspoon per beer, right before you start drinking.”

There is no way in hell I am going to eat a half a cup of dried yeast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 02:57:27 pm »
I assume the theory is based on the urban legend that vitamin B-6 helps with hangover recovery.  Yeast is loaded with it.  It's the basis of the myth that you won't get a hangover drinking homebrew because of the yeast.  I think we all know how much truth there is in that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 03:05:32 pm »
I assume the theory is based on the urban legend that vitamin B-6 helps with hangover recovery.  Yeast is loaded with it.  It's the basis of the myth that you won't get a hangover drinking homebrew because of the yeast.  I think we all know how much truth there is in that.

The article claims it is based on Alcohol dehydrogenase present in the yeast. essentially it would turn your stomach into a pre-liver and reduce the alcohol to non-intoxicating substances before it absorbed into your blood.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 03:13:48 pm »
I have a beer fest I have to pour at this weekend I will probably try it then. Even though my consumption will be minimal.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 03:38:13 pm »

The article claims it is based on Alcohol dehydrogenase present in the yeast. essentially it would turn your stomach into a pre-liver and reduce the alcohol to non-intoxicating substances before it absorbed into your blood.

It could work for some, but not for others to the point of being harmful.  Alcohol dehydrogenase produces acetaldehyde which is more toxic than ethanol and which is part of the normal pathway for metabolizing alcohol.  So called Asian flush is often caused by having an inefficient enzyme for breaking down the acetaldehyde.  If the yeast also provides the enzyme for breaking down the acetaldehyde, which it could do, than eating yeast might be more generally useful.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 03:42:47 pm »

It could work for some, but not for others to the point of being harmful.  Alcohol dehydrogenase produces acetaldehyde which is more toxic than ethanol and which is part of the normal pathway for metabolizing alcohol.  So called Asian flush is often caused by having an inefficient enzyme for breaking down the acetaldehyde.  If the yeast also provides the enzyme for breaking down the acetaldehyde, which it could do, than eating yeast might be more generally useful.
But doesn't the ADH just do the same thing in your liver anyways?  So for a given amount of beer it would be the same level of acetaldehyde in your body correct?  Of course I suppose this assumes you don't drink MORE because you're not getting drunk...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 04:05:55 pm »

But doesn't the ADH just do the same thing in your liver anyways?  So for a given amount of beer it would be the same level of acetaldehyde in your body correct?  Of course I suppose this assumes you don't drink MORE because you're not getting drunk...

If there is more ADH (in your GI and in your liver) and the same amount of the enzyme that breaks down the acetaldehyde, you could end up with more acetaldehyde especially if you normally get flushed when drinking.

If you don't normally get flushed, go ahead and try the yeast.  I get a little flushed so I'm not going to try it unless I find out the yeast also provides the other enzyme too.