Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: best alternative to corn sugar for bottle priming  (Read 5202 times)

Offline macbrewdaddy

• 1st Kit
best alternative to corn sugar for bottle priming
« on: June 05, 2014, 09:21:54 am »
So, when I ordered ingredients, the homebrew shop was out of corn sugar.  To my knowledge I can't get any in the stores here in Colombia.  I ordered some dme to use in its place, but after doing a bit of research it looks as if that may not be the greatest option as it will take a long time to carbonate.  I also saw some stuff that offered up normal table sugar as an option.

So DME or sugar?  impact of each?  something else obtainable at the grocery store?  I could probably get brown sugar.

Quick notes on the beer itself: its an IPA, all grain brewed, gravity has gotten all the way down from 1.05 to 1.005 in 12 days (that's another topic for another post), it'll be sitting at roughly 72-76 degrees to condition (its the caribbean).  maybe the warmer temp will offset the slower carbonation of the dme?  or would straight sugar be the better option?  I have some friends leaving in a couple weeks and I'd like to share it with them before they go.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: best alternative to corn sugar for bottle priming
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:28:27 am »
White sugar will substitute oz per oz for corn sugar and carbonate just the same. It's also cheaper than DME.

I wouldn't use brown sugar unless it's something you want in your recipe. First, usually it's just white sugar mixed with molasses, so you're still adding white sugar (unless you get turbinado or something like that). But mostly, because it has flavor that you may not want in your beer.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:56:49 pm »
I've used DME, corn sugar/dextrose, and plain white table sugar for priming and have not noticed any difference. White sugar is cheap and readily available, so I use it and don't know of a reason to use anything else.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 02:06:19 pm »
Plain old table sugar is all I use. Corn sugar really isn't needed for priming. I don't have any personal experience with DME, but I've heard reports of incomplete carbonation, as well as leaving a krausen ring in the neck of the bottle.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 09:48:18 am »
If you are using plain table sugar, what's your procedure for getting it into the bottling bucket?  I've been using honey that I weigh into my pan, add some water and bring that to a boil, let it cool and then add to my beer in the bottling bucket.  If you are doing the same thing with the table sugar, how much water are you using?  After I've measured out the honey, I add enough water to just about double the volume in the pot.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:50:08 am »
If you are using plain table sugar, what's your procedure for getting it into the bottling bucket?  I've been using honey that I weigh into my pan, add some water and bring that to a boil, let it cool and then add to my beer in the bottling bucket.  If you are doing the same thing with the table sugar, how much water are you using?  After I've measured out the honey, I add enough water to just about double the volume in the pot.

When I use sugar to prime, I just use the smallest amount of water i can to get it to dissolve.  The exact amount doesn't really matter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 10:00:21 am »
Makes sense, thanks.  And given how much coffee I put in my morning sugar, shouldn't be too much trouble to figure out an exact amount.  ;D  Thanks, again.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 12:10:40 pm »
One difference between corn sugar and table sugar is the density. Make sure to weigh your sugar with a scale not measure the volume with a measuring cup.

I may be the only dummy out there, but, since ounces can be a measurement of mass and volume, I thought I would point this out.

Use a calculator like this one to estimate the amount of sugar to add.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 12:52:54 pm »
One difference between corn sugar and table sugar is the density. Make sure to weigh your sugar with a scale not measure the volume with a measuring cup.

Even different corn sugars can have different densities. I used to use a really fluffy type that only weighed 3oz per 3/4 cup. Messed me up when I was just starting.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958