Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My latest experience with Sam Adams  (Read 1993 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
My latest experience with Sam Adams
« on: April 26, 2014, 12:17:19 pm »
I should have bought the Shiner.

I'm extremely disappointed with my recent purchase of SABL. Instead of one metalicky beer I got six. Flavor was very muted and the beer seems weak in strength as well, cause I drank 5 with no problem on an empty stomach. Maybe the beer doesn't travel well to Texas but it used to be one of my faves even back to the early 90's. Over the last couple years I haven't been very happy with my purchases of SA products.

Anyone else experience this?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: My latest experience with Sam Adams
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 12:29:47 pm »
I agree with you Euge. To the point that its been some time since I've had a SA beer.  The last I recall being impressed with were the single hop IPA variety packs; and that had more to do with enjoying the side by side comparison rather than really enjoying the base IPA.

On a positive note, last night I had a really great, fresh Anchor Steam as the SO and I were practicing our Amber Hybrids and English Pale Ales.  Seems like that product tends to sit on the shelves around here and its been a long time since I've really enjoyed one.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 03:01:41 pm »
I agree with you Euge. To the point that its been some time since I've had a SA beer.  The last I recall being impressed with were the single hop IPA variety packs; and that had more to do with enjoying the side by side comparison rather than really enjoying the base IPA.

On a positive note, last night I had a really great, fresh Anchor Steam as the SO and I were practicing our Amber Hybrids and English Pale Ales.  Seems like that product tends to sit on the shelves around here and its been a long time since I've really enjoyed one.

I had a sample of their Rebel IPA and thought it was pretty meh, particularly given that they call it a West Coast style IPA.

I agree with you on Anchor Steam. I hadn't bought it in years and then had it fresh in CA and remembered how good it is. I think it sits around here, too.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 05:56:56 pm »
They did a kolsch ish beer that came in a variety pack. It was great but now you can't find it anywhere.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 06:04:36 pm »
I should have bought the Shiner.

I'm extremely disappointed with my recent purchase of SABL. Instead of one metalicky beer I got six. Flavor was very muted and the beer seems weak in strength as well, cause I drank 5 with no problem on an empty stomach. Maybe the beer doesn't travel well to Texas but it used to be one of my faves even back to the early 90's. Over the last couple years I haven't been very happy with my purchases of SA products.

Anyone else experience this?

I actually liked SABL in the 90', too. I know tastes and palates change, but there's no doubt to me that the quality and hop schedule have come way down on that one. I can't buy it any more, or any of theirs.
Jon H.

narvin

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 07:23:07 pm »
It's funny, I had some Boston lager in their winter seasonal pack (not sure why it's in there, but whatever) and it was actually fresh and even slightly hoppy.  Not sure if it comes from a different plant or it's just fresher, but I was surprised because I usually have the same experience as you.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
My latest experience with Sam Adams
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 07:56:53 pm »
I had a SABL in DC at a hotel recently. The hotel had that and a BMC on tap. It was super fresh and I loved it.

I liked it so much I went home tried to brew a clone. Alas, my clone is not as good as the SABL from that hotel.

Re: SA variety packs. I buy them all. I like them. They are never the best for a given style, but, I trust SA to do a pretty good job and to not waste my money on bad beer like many craft brews I find at the bottle shop.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:04:34 pm by alestateyall »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 08:02:29 pm »
Even Heineken tastes great in Amsterdam.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 08:05:03 pm »

Even Heineken tastes great in Amsterdam.

I'll put that on my bucket list.