Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How was the weekend?!  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
How was the weekend?!
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:11:40 am »
I thought I would check in with the community to see how your weekend was! Personally I didn't get to brew but I did get my new 20 gallon Blichman Boilmaker and got the base structure for my new compost bin built. All in all not to shabby  ;D

Cheers!

Casey
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
Re: How was the weekend?!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 08:39:06 am »
Had a good time at the AHA Rally in Portland.

Had my name picked for one of the raffles. Lifetime supply of bottle caps. I guess I may have to break down and find (buy) more bottles.  :)

John
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 08:48:58 am »
Hauled a bunch of dirt for conditioning the garden. Worked on roof. Planted taters. Sat on butt Sunday recouping

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:13:50 am »
I spent Saturday canoeing with my wife and yesterday went for a long hike/trail run with my son in the mountains behind my house. Saw a timber rattler in the trail as big around as my forearm. Had to yank my son back by his shirt before he stepped on it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 09:25:33 am »
brewed a wit for mothers day. kegged some stout. spent some quality time with the family. on balance not too bad.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:39:09 am »
Saturday I went fishing and caught my limit (5) of rainbow trout between 2-3 lbs. in size a piece.  I filleted them up and smoked them over alder Sunday.

Besides smoking fish and yard work Sunday, I did jumper Bohemian Pilsner and Belgian Blond to fresh kegs to get them off the settled yeast.  I am taking those two kegs to a conference I am attending this week. My company hosts a hospitality suite, and I am bringing the beer.  I will educate the masses on how you can have virtually the same grain and hop bills, yet end up with two totally different beers because of the yeast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:45:40 am »

Had my name picked for one of the raffles. Lifetime supply of bottle caps. I guess I may have to break down and find (buy) more bottles.  :)

John

Were you the John I was talking to yesterday?  Nice to meet a forum member!  Also had a chance to meet Pinski at the rally.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:02:03 am »
Was in Bend OR with friends. Hit several of the new places.

Toured Deschutes production brewery. Our friends were able to schedulelargest ur at Ale Apothecary, which was out standing. We saw the largest and smallest in Bend.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 10:22:59 am »
Grilled steaks with friends Friday night and opened a bottle of Boulevard Smokestack Series 2012 Saison with Brett that I'd been cellaring for a year or so.  I won that bottle at a raffle during the FOAM homebrew contest in OK.  It was pretty good, very dry and effervescent with a restrained fruitiness and just a hint of barnyard, no cherry.  Guess I may have drank it before its time but oh well, six of us got to taste it.

Saturday I brewed a basic blond ale, fermenting with San Fran lager yeast at around 60F.  This is going to be a strawberry blond I'm putting in a homebrew contest we are sponsoring, a crowd-judged kind of thing thats happening as part of a festival in June.

Sunday I bottled 5gal of Dornfelder wine.  First time I've worked with these grapes, got them from my friend who has a vineyard.  I made this wine in a dry red style, ran malolactic fermentation and aged two months in a new American oak barrel.  It was a little tart but I really think this is going to be a good one.

Then I took a nice long nap.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 11:21:32 am »
Saturday our club did it's first garage crawl. Visited 3 members homes and their brew set ups. When you only know people from the meetings, it's interesting to see what they are actually brewing on and where they do it.
Took my husband along. He now knows I am not obsessively acquiring brew stuff. The brew set ups ranged from....weep oh you professional brewers to.... not that elaborate, but all brew sheds were unique and I'd happily take any one of them. They ranged from a brewery outfitted attached garage to a stand alone building with full kitchen facilities and a lovely porch to last but not least a hand hewn rustic log cabin with wood cook stove and covered porch. Kind of makes my pop up awning in the driveway pale by comparison. Going to have to talk to the DH about getting his stuff out of the garage......NOT!

Sunday required a trip to Home Depot to order a new freezer for lagering/conditioning. The old one has crapped out. They had a "best buy" special on a 14.8cuft model which is perfect and an addl 10% off.
So $350 got me a brand new one delivered, old one dealt with and no temp worries for a while. Time to get some serious brewing going on.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 11:32:29 am »

John

Were you the John I was talking to yesterday?  Nice to meet a forum member!  Also had a chance to meet Pinski at the rally.

That was a fun event, pretty darn good turn-out as well.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 11:34:50 am »

John

Holy score! That's a sweet deal I'd gladly take.
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
How was the weekend?!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 11:41:06 am »
Got a chance to finally brew a Quad, helped a neighbor bottle her first batch of beer where all the water was actually birch sap and got some of the brewery straightened up.

Strung up my hops which are finally starting to grow after this miserable cold spring weather.

Capped off the weekend chowing down some tasty pulled pork and baby backs!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 11:52:31 am »
It was a major beer weekend for me. On Saturday, our club filled a 15 gallon rye whiskey barrel with a russian imperial stout and I filled my 15 gallon rye whiskey barrel with a belgian dark strong. Sunday I brewed three beers. A farmhouse ale w/ rye using The Yeast Bay's Wallonian Farmhouse yeast, a farmhouse/saison type beer using Yeast Bay's Funktown Pale Ale yeast, and a northwest style pale ale packed with Summit and Cascade hops and WYeast westcoast IPA yeast. Trying to fill my keezer with some lighter summer beers. Plus, starting tonight I will be helping teach a homebrew class at the local brewery.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 12:16:58 pm »
Enjoyed a weekend of good beer and food in Vegas.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing