Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aphid Problem  (Read 5564 times)

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
Aphid Problem
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:05:12 am »
My two potted plants, magnum and columbus, are taking off pretty well. But something, I think aphids, are eating through them. Any tried and true solutions to this? The local nursery gave me an insecticide, but with a dog and a newborn I don't want to keep using that and would prefer something more benign if possible. I ordered some ladybugs off Amazon which should be here soon, so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Aphid Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:14:32 am »
Try blasting them with a spray bottle set to stream. Neem oil is safer than insecticides as well. It's derived from the neem tree which is naturally bug resistant.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 09:23:28 am »
My two potted plants, magnum and columbus, are taking off pretty well. But something, I think aphids, are eating through them. Any tried and true solutions to this? The local nursery gave me an insecticide, but with a dog and a newborn I don't want to keep using that and would prefer something more benign if possible. I ordered some ladybugs off Amazon which should be here soon, so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

1/4 cutp canola oil, 5-6 hot peppers, 5-6 cloves of garlic, and a few drops of soap (actual soap, like dr bronners or some similar hippy brand) pureed with ~1 cup hot water in a blender (preferably one that you don't need to use for anything else for a while or that can be washed over and over and over). let it settle for a few days and then dissolve about 1-2 table spoons of that in a quart or so of water and mist the plants. don't use it after the cones form but until then have at. Best to use it in the early morning or early evening so the leaves have time to dry before hot sun or cold night. It's not 100% but you really only need to slow the aphids down so the plant can really take off and out compete them. that's the real trick, to get the plant to grow faster than the aphids can destroy it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:26:02 am »
You can use insecticidal soap or a similar oil.  The soap kills the bugs by stripping the bugs of oil causing the bugs to dry out and die.  The oil suffocates the bugs.  Both are non-toxic and are safe to plants.  However, they require you spray very thoroughly because any bug that isn't sprayed will survive. 

Played flanker and second row in college.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 09:39:16 am »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:52:15 am »
Ladybugs love aphids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozqlqqWE8x4

they do and it helps for sure but will not control a real infestation. I have hundreds, maybe even thousands of lady bugs and they feast on aphids in the garden but there are still many many aphids. they mostly just focus on the roses and brassicas so I don't worry too much. the ants protect the aphids. it's kind of cool to watch a bunch of ants try to fight off a lady bug as it trundles in to munch aphids.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 10:19:56 am »

1/4 cutp canola oil, 5-6 hot peppers, 5-6 cloves of garlic, and a few drops of soap (actual soap, like dr bronners or some similar hippy brand) pureed with ~1 cup hot water in a blender (preferably one that you don't need to use for anything else for a while or that can be washed over and over and over). let it settle for a few days and then dissolve about 1-2 table spoons of that in a quart or so of water and mist the plants. don't use it after the cones form but until then have at. Best to use it in the early morning or early evening so the leaves have time to dry before hot sun or cold night. It's not 100% but you really only need to slow the aphids down so the plant can really take off and out compete them. that's the real trick, to get the plant to grow faster than the aphids can destroy it.

That sounds pretty simple, thanks! For the hot peppers, will jalapenos or habaneros work? Also, I take it that some leaf destruction is going to occur/acceptable, and as long as the plant keeps growing healthily that it's ok?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:22:41 am »

That sounds pretty simple, thanks! For the hot peppers, will jalapenos or habaneros work? Also, I take it that some leaf destruction is going to occur/acceptable, and as long as the plant keeps growing healthily that it's ok?

what ever kind of hot peppers are available will work. As long as the plant is growing well and the aphids aren't so think that your cones are gonna get covered you are fine but it's easier for the plant to be healthy with less predation.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 10:24:34 am »
But something, I think aphids, are eating through them. Any tried and true solutions to this?

When you say "eating through", are there actually holes in the leaves?  The reason I ask is that aphids do their damage by piercing the leaf surface with their mouthparts and suck out the fluids, so you won't see a whole lot of damage unless you look very closely, maybe with a hand lens.  It's really important to identify the the pest you're trying to control before you take action to control it as your control measures may not work against the pest that's actually creating the problem.  Kinda like a golden rule we were taught in Ag school. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:23 am »
But something, I think aphids, are eating through them. Any tried and true solutions to this?

When you say "eating through", are there actually holes in the leaves?  The reason I ask is that aphids do their damage by piercing the leaf surface with their mouthparts and suck out the fluids, so you won't see a whole lot of damage unless you look very closely, maybe with a hand lens.  It's really important to identify the the pest you're trying to control before you take action to control it as your control measures may not work against the pest that's actually creating the problem.  Kinda like a golden rule we were taught in Ag school.

good advice. the hot pepper garlic oil soap mix works against a variety of pests but it's best to know what you are dealing with.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 10:32:46 am »
Safer's insecticidal soap is effective on aphids and BT usually works well on leaf borers. Neither have negatively affected my hops or me. Just don't use the soap on cones if you can avoid it.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 10:41:17 am »

Yeah, there are actually holes in the leaves. Later today I will take some pictures and post. I just kind of assumed aphids, maybe I'm completely wrong. Thanks.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 11:58:39 am »

The only thing missing in that recipe is the half can of beer.  Isn't that required in every home remedy for garden pests?  How else does the gardener get beer while they're working if they don't have 1/2 a can left over.   ;D

These mixtures do often work but the holes in the leaves tells me you do not have an aphid problem.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 07:09:58 am »
Gotcha. Newborn plus rain means I can't get some good pictures at the moment. I will post some as soon as the weather clears up/I sleep.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 08:13:20 am »
diatomaceous (sp?) earth will work on a lot of bugs the oil/soap concoction won't. but it has to be reapplied if it gets wet.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce