Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single Tier Brew System  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Gus_13

• 1st Kit
    • Mason-Dixon Brew Crew
Single Tier Brew System
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:58:31 am »
Hello all!

I'm looking to purchase a single tier system.  Weighing the options of Electric vs. Gas.  Anyone have any stories to share of the pros/cons.  Or any pictures of your system would be awesome.  I've dug around and was unable to find a thread like this but if there is one, feel free to link it and I'll go there.  I'm wanting to step up brewing and do a small pilot type system to carry with me through my brew-ventures.  I've bobbled around the idea of building one but... I'm not great at that stuff.  I'm a salesman not an engineer! haha

If you know of any sites selling good systems please list them as well.  Looking for any and all input I can get on this subject!

Santé!

Gus
Brewer of Belgian-Style and Wild Beers

Santé!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Single Tier Brew System
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:08:28 pm »
Depending on how things are with your local gas/electric company the following is true.

Gas =  Cheaper to set up but more expensive to keep up
Electric = More expensive to set up but cheaper to keep up.

There are a lot of variable to consider but electricity is more effecient and usually cheaper to brew with, but having the ability to distribute the electricity to heat with is rather expensive( panel to control the flow, elements to heat water etc) hereas Gas is usually direct fire.  People seem to love one or the other and tpyically preach that style.  Im an electric guy myself.

www.thelectricbrewery.com

TEB Panel and pieces are great, but you need to do a lot of Fabrication on your own, so probably not for you>

Good Luck!

Cheers.
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:31:09 pm »
Brewing indoors, electric poses less safety issues.  However, I brew indoors with direct fire burners and natural gas, have a vent fan installed through a wall, and use a curtain with nomex panels so I don't suffocate.

Brewing outdoors, gas with propane tanks is probably easiest to get started.

If your source of gas is the gas you heat your house with, the operating cost of gas is probably cheaper than electric depending on your local utility costs.  If your source of gas is BBQ propane tanks, electric is probably considerably cheaper to operate.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:34:54 pm »
here is a thread on my setup: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14134.0

either one works well - I just happen to prefer the safety and lower noise of electric.

I enjoy my brewery very much and consider it $$$ very well spent given the satisfaction.  however I brewed with a cooler/keg setup for 7 years and had a great time with that as well. YMMV
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Gus_13

• 1st Kit
    • Mason-Dixon Brew Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 02:22:56 pm »
Thanks guys!

A little background on me.  I've been brewing going on 3 years with an all grain set up for the majority of that.  I think I only did 2 batches with extract.  I brew in my garage and eventually I'll be in a barn type set up.  I use propane now and have access to use Nat Gas as well.  But I'm leaning more towards electric for my new set up.  I'm planning on a HERMS system with it.  I have seen a few retailers that sell some systems but majority is gas.  For cost of running I think electric will be the way to go.  Especially going with a 10-15 gallon system.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Santé!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 02:49:45 pm »
Thanks guys!

A little background on me.  I've been brewing going on 3 years with an all grain set up for the majority of that.  I think I only did 2 batches with extract.  I brew in my garage and eventually I'll be in a barn type set up.  I use propane now and have access to use Nat Gas as well.  But I'm leaning more towards electric for my new set up.  I'm planning on a HERMS system with it.  I have seen a few retailers that sell some systems but majority is gas.  For cost of running I think electric will be the way to go.  Especially going with a 10-15 gallon system.

i switched to electric when i went small.  4 gallon kettle with a 1500 watt heater. plug it in about anywhere. i have even moved it inside when it started raining outside.
Don AHA member

Offline Gus_13

• 1st Kit
    • Mason-Dixon Brew Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 02:52:58 pm »

Thanks guys!

i switched to electric when i went small.  4 gallon kettle with a 1500 watt heater. plug it in about anywhere. i have even moved it inside when it started raining outside.

Yeah that would be nice I'm just wanting to go bigger for myself. I've looked at eBIAB stuff. I like that too but it wouldn't be where I'm wanting to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Santé!

Offline Gus_13

• 1st Kit
    • Mason-Dixon Brew Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 03:25:20 pm »

here is a thread on my setup: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14134.0

either one works well - I just happen to prefer the safety and lower noise of electric.

I enjoy my brewery very much and consider it $$$ very well spent given the satisfaction.  however I brewed with a cooler/keg setup for 7 years and had a great time with that as well. YMMV

I love your set up. Id like something like that. The conical/freezer system is something I've been leaning towards as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Santé!

Offline Gus_13

• 1st Kit
    • Mason-Dixon Brew Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 12:40:44 pm »
I may just have to go with buying a stand from someone and then buying all my kettles separately.  I've been watching Bru-Gear as I like their design of kettles.   Looks like they will have HLT with HERMS set up already in the kettle and that will make things a lot easier.

Santé!

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 02:24:26 pm »
I am a convert from propane to electric. Here is my system: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=18605.0

20 gallon vessels for 10 gallon batches.

If you have the space for it a dedicated room is great. My system is always set up and ready to go. NOt like brewing in the garage where I have to move the vehicles, clean the garage, get everything out and set up, then do it all in reverse after brewing.

As for the stand, I went with chrome wire shelving and am quite happy with that. Comes in a flat box and sets up in 10 minutes. However, after considering the costs It probably would have be caper just to buy a used stainless steele restaraunt prep table. They are on the restaraunt auctions around here all the time.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 02:21:01 pm »
FYI, if you are thinking about going electric, it looks like Blichmann is about to come out with a new electric heating system.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/new-innovations-coming-soon
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Gus_13

• 1st Kit
    • Mason-Dixon Brew Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 02:50:03 pm »
I am a convert from propane to electric. Here is my system: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=18605.0

20 gallon vessels for 10 gallon batches.

If you have the space for it a dedicated room is great. My system is always set up and ready to go. NOt like brewing in the garage where I have to move the vehicles, clean the garage, get everything out and set up, then do it all in reverse after brewing.

As for the stand, I went with chrome wire shelving and am quite happy with that. Comes in a flat box and sets up in 10 minutes. However, after considering the costs It probably would have be caper just to buy a used stainless steele restaraunt prep table. They are on the restaraunt auctions around here all the time.

That brew room is sweet!  I like that set up as well!  Thanks for sharing!

FYI, if you are thinking about going electric, it looks like Blichmann is about to come out with a new electric heating system.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/new-innovations-coming-soon

Yeah reading more on their stuff the past few days.  That may be the way to go.  BrewEasy in electric set up would be really nice.  The price point is about where I would be at (or a little less than) what I've been looking at the single tier systems.  I may just save the $$$ until this is released and I can run with it.

Santé!