Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Talking with a brewer  (Read 1951 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Talking with a brewer
« on: April 24, 2014, 06:59:53 pm »
I mean, I talk with you guys all the time but...

While out on the road for work this week, I found a local micro/potential nano brewery. Catawba Island Brewery in Port Clinton, Ohio. They had a very nice tasting room with very nice people. They also had 9 of their beers on tap. I had the privilege to speak with the assistant brewer while there. I've never had such opportunity. We shared a few ideas and techniques.

The great thing about the visit is that they had a mango/habanero hefe on tap since I am planning on a hab/mango pale ale in June. I got some insight about the habanero addition. I was not a huge fan of the clashing flavor of the habs in the hefe yeast. He agreed that a pale ale could be a more favorable environment for these flavors.

Anyways... This is a good place to stop by if in the area. There were several guys there that had just gotten off Lake Erie from Walleye fishing. They didn't know much about beer. But they had their own beer for the BMC drinkers too called.... "Intentionally Sh!&#*y Lager." I didn't have it, but I thought that was unique.
Frank

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Talking with a brewer
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:16:06 am »
Sounds like a great time! Love the name of the beer too. I always try to seek out the brewers when I visit tap rooms and such, especially if they are brewing great beer!

It's always nice to here a pro's take on things and swap stories and ideas for beer, recipes and ingredients to use.

One of the things I really enjoy about this hobby is the open sharing of pretty much everything and anything associated with brewing, it really is all about the beer:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:52:55 am »
i grew up near port clinton.  raced sailboats around those islands and shagged walleye and perch.  maybe i have another reason to move back
Don AHA member

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:07:33 am »
i grew up near port clinton.  raced sailboats around those islands and shagged walleye and perch.  maybe i have another reason to move back

I sure hope you were snagging walleye and perch instead of shagging them  :P
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:20:31 am »

I sure hope you were snagging walleye and perch instead of shagging them  :P

:D   Now that's funny !  Well done.
Jon H.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 12:10:16 pm »
now i have to rethink when i played baseball and would go out to shag flies. 8)
Don AHA member

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 06:57:09 pm »
How was the rest of the beer there?  I have family that lives in Port Clinton and have drove by CIB with the intension on stopping each time.  Unfortunately I have yet to make it in, maybe on the next trip.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 07:17:29 pm »
How was the rest of the beer there?  I have family that lives in Port Clinton and have drove by CIB with the intension on stopping each time.  Unfortunately I have yet to make it in, maybe on the next trip.

I'd definitely stop in. The beer was good. The beers seem to be fairly experimental. So I'd say they are homebrewers at heart. They just brew on a little larger scale. I was a little disappointed that they didn't gave a pale ale on tap when I was there though. Most of their beers were big. The brewer said that happens a lot in their recipe design. They had a low grav dry stout on tap that was really good.
Frank