Author Topic: Thermapen or MW101 PH meter?  (Read 1160 times)

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Re: Thermapen or MW101 PH meter?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 08:43:41 AM »
Keith, are you rounding those values or do you have a meter that only reports to the nearest tenth? That is a curious result. The only thing I can assume is that the 'room-temp' that you are cooling too, is higher in the afternoon.

It does not round numbers. It also has ATC with separate temperature probe , even though we cool down to around 65-70 just for good measure. And I'm not saying it happens every time, I'm saying it has happened on a rare occasion. Fairly certain the reading was accurate. I'd be willing to bet Denny's ponytail.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 08:52:53 AM »
Do you re-check the calibration. Drift happens.

Just a possibility.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 10:34:47 AM »
Yep. Everytime.
Keith Y.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »
There is no way I would spend the $$ on a Therapen when they make the RT600c. I have two of the RTs and they are nice. Now I need an extra one for other duties.

Same here. RT600C is excellent.

I have used the RT600C and a Thermapen. The RT606 is almost as fast BUT the one major drawback is that it does not have auto power off and I've drained the battery in 48 hours a couple of times. The RT616 does have an auto shutoff, however the probe is more like 4" long instead of 6". So beware of that. I have one of those now as well.

But I gotta say the $ spent on my MW101 was well worth it too.

Offline S. cerevisiae

• Senior Brewmaster
  • deus ex machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 02:17:04 PM »
I own both devices.  I purchased my Thermapen during an open box sale.  If I had to chose one device, it would be the MW101.   
Mark V.

Just say "no" to yeast rinsing
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19850.msg252492#msg252492

"A pale ale losing points for being too pale is like a vicar being defrocked for being too godly. It is no wonder that beer judges get such a bad rap."  - Graham Wheeler

Offline swlusk

• Brewer
  • The Closet Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 06:33:27 PM »
I ended up purchasing the MW101 this go round. I'm a fan of variety so I'm always brewing new styles of tweaking recipes so my mash and PH regime always seems to be different. I think for now, I will get more use out of PH accuracy. I just received my meter today, it shipped with a protective cap filled with some sort of liquid, I assume storage solution. I'm not brewing for a couple of weeks, (My wife frowns upon brew days falling on mothers day weekend) will it be OK to leave it as is, or should I take the cap off and fill it with the storage solution I ordered with it?

Thanks for all the replies!

Stevo
Corripe Cervisiam

If I ever go missing I want my picture on a beer instead of a milk carton , I want fun people to find me

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 06:05:43 AM »
Wouldn't hurt to change it. You can play with the device a bit and run a calibration. Check the pH of something...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 06:29:33 AM »
+1.  Thermopens are $100 and have an acuracy of + or - .7dF.    Thermoworks (the manufacturer) also sells a thermometer ( the RT600C) that is accurate to + or -  .9dF  for  $19.  Yes, the same company, basically the same accuracy for $19.  It's a steal. My digital lollipop thermo stopped working, so I bought one of these. It's cheaper and more accurate than my old one. You could buy one of these AND a pH meter :

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

There you go !

Thanks, man! I'm in the market for a new pocket thermometer and was almost silly enough to start thinking about the thermapen again. You brought me back to my senses!
Keith Y.

Online HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 06:47:36 AM »
+1.  Thermopens are $100 and have an acuracy of + or - .7dF.    Thermoworks (the manufacturer) also sells a thermometer ( the RT600C) that is accurate to + or -  .9dF  for  $19.  Yes, the same company, basically the same accuracy for $19.  It's a steal. My digital lollipop thermo stopped working, so I bought one of these. It's cheaper and more accurate than my old one. You could buy one of these AND a pH meter :

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

There you go !

Thanks, man! I'm in the market for a new pocket thermometer and was almost silly enough to start thinking about the thermapen again. You brought me back to my senses!

Yeah, and I used it last weekend to check temp on a smoked chicken. I pulled it from the smoker @ 160F to account for carry over heat, checked it 15 minutes later and it was at the recommended 165F. It was perfectly cooked - juicy as hell, juices clear. It's definitely an accurate one !
Jon H.

Offline S. cerevisiae

• Senior Brewmaster
  • deus ex machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 07:57:21 AM »

I questioned my sanity for forking out $70.00 for my Thermapen during an open box sale.  However, I love that thing. I use it for everything. 

With that said, the OP made the right choice. The MW101 is a really nice pH meter for the price.

Mark V.

Just say "no" to yeast rinsing
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19850.msg252492#msg252492

"A pale ale losing points for being too pale is like a vicar being defrocked for being too godly. It is no wonder that beer judges get such a bad rap."  - Graham Wheeler