Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fining/cold crash question  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Fining/cold crash question
« on: May 05, 2014, 07:28:40 am »
Got a pale ale i want to fine. Should I cold crash before or after i fine with gelatin?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Fining/cold crash question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:29:44 am »
Got a pale ale i want to fine. Should I cold crash before or after i fine with gelatin?

Before - the gelatin will work MUCH better if you get the beer as cold as you can first.
Jon H.

Offline David Lester

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:01:19 am »

HoosierBrew is Correct, you want to get the beer down to near freezing, or at the point that the haze will appear, which is protein coagulation. The gelatin will attach to them and sink to the bottom. Gelatin is the best fining agent I have tried.

Good luck

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:30:40 am »
When you use gelatin, does it continue to get sucked through the dip tube? Or how do you remedy using it in the keg? I'd prefer to wash and reuse yeast, but I'm interested in this too.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:45:47 am »
When you use gelatin, does it continue to get sucked through the dip tube? Or how do you remedy using it in the keg? I'd prefer to wash and reuse yeast, but I'm interested in this too.

By the time you are using the geletin anything caught in it is something you wouldnt want in your next brew.  Low floccing or mutated yeast, other types of trub etc.  After primary fermentation you should get a good yeast cake, when you transfer to secondary(keg in this case) you should be leaving as much of that behind as possible.  This is the yeast you would ideally repitch, not anything still in suspension.

2Cents
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 10:47:05 am »

It precipitates the yeast (and some proteins) to the bottom of the keg.  When you draw the first half pint or so, you are pumping out the gelatin along with the yeast - clear sailing after.
Jon H.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 01:49:57 pm »

By the time you are using the geletin anything caught in it is something you wouldnt want in your next brew.  Low floccing or mutated yeast, other types of trub etc.  After primary fermentation you should get a good yeast cake, when you transfer to secondary(keg in this case) you should be leaving as much of that behind as possible.  This is the yeast you would ideally repitch, not anything still in suspension.

2Cents
Jeff

Yes I was planning to use in secondary, but I've had people suggest using the gelatin before transferring off the cake. That's why I was asking, but thanks for your comment.

Does Gelatin remove hop haze from dry-hopping? Or mainly proteins and gunk in suspension?
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 03:44:08 pm »

2Cents
Jeff

Yes I was planning to use in secondary, but I've had people suggest using the gelatin before transferring off the cake. That's why I was asking, but thanks for your comment.

Does Gelatin remove hop haze from dry-hopping? Or mainly proteins and gunk in suspension?

It will remove a fair amount of hop haze, but it comes with a price - it removes some of the hop character too.  Not a big deal though - if I plan to use it in an IPA ( I usually don't), I compensate by upping dry hop levels a bit. I mostly use gelatin for styles that absolutely need to be crystal clear though, and NOT for yeast driven styles like hefe or Belgian beers. Honestly, most of the time good pH, whirlfloc, cold crashing and conditioning get my beer plenty clear.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:55:32 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.