Author Topic: Brewer Bio Brady Jones  (Read 408 times)

Offline GBRewed

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Brewer Bio Brady Jones
« on: June 14, 2014, 11:56:36 AM »

Who Are You (please include a picture): Brady Jones
Home Town (City, State): Sacramento, CA
Homebrew Club: None at this time.
I've been a homebrewer since: January 2012
Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share?  Just your unfortunate boil overs or high krausen messes blowing out of the airlock (nicknamed the desolation of smaug in one instance  ;) )
What is your favorite style(s) to brew? IPA, stout
What style(s) will you never brew?  I dont think I have an answer to this because you never know what might inspire you later on in life.
What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out?  First beer was an organic pale ale extract kit that my brother got me for xmas.  Turned out ok from what I remember, but, I was just excited to have brewed my first batch so ANYTHING would have been good.
Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great?  No crucial mistakes that ended up turning out as a positive.
What is your favorite beer recipe?  Currently re-brewing my fav recipe.  Hopbursted session ipa with mosaic, citra, chinook, and centennial hops.  Perfect summertime beer for hop lovers that want something to drink all day long and not be super toasted at the end of the day in 90-100 degree weather in Sacramento.
Are you a BJCP Judge?  If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging? Not a judge
Do you have a good beer judging story you'd like to share with the rest of the homebrewing world? Not a judge
Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc?  Favorite "gadget" would probably have to be my window AC unit in the bedroom that accurately keeps my room at the temperature I desire for fermentation (usually in the 60s to low 70s)
Describe your brew system.  15gal rubbermaid cooler mash tun, Edellmetal bru burner, 10gal aluminum brew kettle, copper coil wort chiller, couple of 7gal glass carboys, 6gal plastic betterbottle, couple of kegs and kegerator with dual taps for serving.
How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?  I try and keep it consistent with twice a month but sometimes we do a double brew in one day.
What is your favorite malt?  Why?  Hmmm I really like the versatility of MO since you can pretty much add it to anything either as a single malt of just as a little extra flavor out of your base malt.
What is your favorite hop? Why?  It changes over time, whatever I'm attracted to at that specific moment.  I'm a hophead so right now my fav would have to be Mosaic or Citra.  Both are just so interesting and have amazing tropical fruit and citrus flavors/aromas that I'm really into (west coast hops in general).  I've also found that they are great hops to use in a SMASH since they both have pretty good bittering properties to them and are high alphas so you dont need a lot to get the desired bitterness in your brew.
Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast?  WLP-001 my fav.  Super clean, high attenuation, lets me taste everything I put into the malt bill and choice hops.
Do you have a good homebrew club story you'd like to share?  Not in a club
What haven't we asked that you would really like to share?  What about brewing beer makes me want to brew it?  I love that there is so much you can do with a beer and each brewers practices can alter the final outcome of a beer and that makes basically endless possibilities.  I love that I can be creative and take several completely different things, essentially put them all together and make something for people to enjoy.  I'm a crowd pleaser and I enjoy bringing something to the table for people to gather around in a social environment to have a good time.  I'm also a perfectionist and brewing beer can be difficult at times.  It lets me strive to make that perfect beer for myself to enjoy and also for others to rave about.
If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him?  Mitch Steele maybe?  I look up to him as a brewer and would want his opinion on some of my hoppy creations and to just enjoy a nice ipa.
Can you send a picture or two of some labels you've created for your homebrew?  Haven't created any labels but my friend is in graphic design and we have some ideas for logos and such.
What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew?  Not too unusual, but I sampled different kinds of coffee from a local roastery here in Sacramento.  Chose a certain kind of blend and added half cold-brewed and half hot-brewed coffee to an imperial breakfast stout.  Came out fantastic.
Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients?  Nope
How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions? No medals, I've only entered one and that was within my first year of brewing in the summer without temperature controlled fermentation so it was pretty estery.  Scored a 28 I think?  I seem to find out about competitions after the registration deadline, but I'm entering a competition this month with a session ipa I made, hoping to win or at least get high scores.
Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with?  Usually brew with my best friend.  He currently brews as an assistant at Rubicon.  I plan to attend UC Davis brewing program and we have hopes to one day start up our own brewery operation.
Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer?  Currently outdoor
List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite?  Hmmm lets see.  Hoptimus Prime, Hoptical Illusions, Slam It session ipa, Gemini Double ipa, Imp of Darkness imperial stout, some more that i cant really remember.  I don't know if I have a favorite.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer Bio Brady Jones
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 02:15:45 PM »
Welcome Brady !  Tons of great advice to be had here, and a bunch of good people to boot. Cheers !
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Brewer Bio Brady Jones
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Welcome! If you're looking for a club to check out come on out to davis next tuesday. The Greenbelt brewers meet every third tuesday at sudwerks. come round to the dock store around 6:30.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce