Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: California Trip, Pliny the Elder  (Read 360 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
California Trip, Pliny the Elder
« on: January 23, 2024, 09:09:19 pm »
Been in SF and the Central Coast this last week. Hit the Toronado, and a few other places that had Pliny the Elder on draft. It is dangerously drinkable now, not the bitter tongue buster from 25 years ago, though I liked that beer back then. Beers evolve, and PtE has.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: California Trip, Pliny the Elder
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 10:51:06 pm »
If you can stay a couple more weeks, San Francisco Beer Week is Feb 9-18. Always a fun time. https://sfbeerweek.org
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 12:22:58 am »
If you can stay a couple more weeks, San Francisco Beer Week is Feb 9-18. Always a fun time. https://sfbeerweek.org

Going home in 2 days.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 12:29:06 am »
Been in SF and the Central Coast this last week. Hit the Toronado, and a few other places that had Pliny the Elder on draft. It is dangerously drinkable now, not the bitter tongue buster from 25 years ago, though I liked that beer back then. Beers evolve, and PtE has.

While I think that is a good beer, I prefer Blind Pig.  If you make it to the actual brewery, they have another called Mind Circus that I thought was really good.  I don't think they sell it outside of the facility itself. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 11:13:00 am »

While I think that is a good beer, I prefer Blind Pig.  If you make it to the actual brewery, they have another called Mind Circus that I thought was really good.  I don't think they sell it outside of the facility itself.

I had Pliny and Blind Pig at the Toronado. Pliny for me. My wife likes Blind Pig as she doesn't like Simcoe hops. We have our own taste preferences.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 10:54:46 am »
Years ago when I visited that area I really enjoyed the beers at Bear Republic in Healdsburg.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 02:04:33 pm »
Years ago when I visited that area I really enjoyed the beers at Bear Republic in Healdsburg.

Unfortunately, they closed a few years ago.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 09:06:15 pm »
I would advise visiting the original Brewpub downtown AND their production brewery taproom (on separate evenings).  Both are great visits and have taproom only beers available as well as fresh Pliny on tap.  Totally worth it and definitely CANNOT MISS

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 09:18:40 am »
I would advise visiting the original Brewpub downtown AND their production brewery taproom (on separate evenings).  Both are great visits and have taproom only beers available as well as fresh Pliny on tap.  Totally worth it and definitely CANNOT MISS

I've been to the Santa Rosa location many times. In 2019 my wife talked into going to the Younger Release there. The next day we Ubered up to the production facility in Windsor.
Younger was still on up there. It is a destination brewery, grest tour.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild