Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Indiegogo 7.1 gallon Stainless Steel Fermenter  (Read 12306 times)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Indiegogo 7.1 gallon Stainless Steel Fermenter
« on: April 29, 2014, 03:26:46 pm »
Came across this and figured I would share it (guilty I bought 2 and I want him to get funded so I get the fermenters instead of my money back.)  It seems pretty decent... pretty simple... Stainless steel vessel that seals up airtight and has hole for an airlock.  A stainless steel bucket basically for $125. (as of posting this there is still 1 $105 on left.)
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vessel--2/x/6103135#home

BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Indiegogo 7.1 gallon Stainless Steel Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:44:40 am »
Nice. I kept reading it as the fermenter was $525. But that's what he's raised of his goal. $125 is much more reasonable. If I wasn't already invested in fermenting in low profile kegs and brewing larger than 4 gallon batches, I'd be interested. Hope he makes it.
Jesse

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:07:36 am »
Yeah the price point is the main draw for me.  All of my primary fermenters are stainless except for 2 plastic conicals I use.  I just like the durability of stainless over plastic and the fact it doesn't absorb aromas etc.. Who knows if he'll get funded or not... It is a 'fixed funding' campaign so if he doesn't reach his goal the money is automatically refunded to you.  Though I will be without my $ for the next 44 days.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 12:18:15 pm »
Well, good luck. I'm happy with fermenting 4 gallon batches in 5 gallon low profile kegs. They've got a bit better of a fermenter geometry than standard kegs. That is, if the fermenter geometry theory is to be believed for the taller, slimmer fermenters...
I like being able to move my beer under pressure to the serving keg and I never have to open the lid, unless I dry hop.
Jesse

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 01:56:02 pm »
Well, good luck. I'm happy with fermenting 4 gallon batches in 5 gallon low profile kegs. They've got a bit better of a fermenter geometry than standard kegs. That is, if the fermenter geometry theory is to be believed for the taller, slimmer fermenters...
I like being able to move my beer under pressure to the serving keg and I never have to open the lid, unless I dry hop.
Yeah I have 2 of the 10 gallon kegs I do 5-6 gallon batches in.  It is nice to use with a spunding valve to do pressurized fermentation.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 02:07:21 pm »
I may someday get into pressurized fermenting. I wonder if that would have any thing to do with how German breweries have that distinct flavor, because they let the beer carbonate as it's finishing up in the primary. Seems doubtful, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to get that flavor in my beer. 
Jesse

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:15:58 am »
only 14 days left to go on this... 66% of the way there... going to be close unless there are people on the fence that are going to go on the last couple days... Hoping it gets funded so it goes through... I could really use a couple more stainless fermenters and I really like the dimensions of these vs say a 10 gallon milk can which I can get for about the same price used from ebay...

so yes... shameless bump/push for selfish reasons ;D
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 10:17:02 am »
I hope they make it. There needs to be more affordable stainless steel fermenter options on the market. I just makes sense...
Jesse

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 12:12:37 pm »
Yeah for me it's just a good bucket replacement that doesn't need to have too much care done for it like a plastic bucket does.  With bucket fermenter I always feel like I spend so much effort trying to get the aromas and flavors they absorb out of them...and it's creepy to think of something as 'clean' when it still smells like what was previously in it even after weeks of multiple soakings with cleaner.

They way I figure it a 7.9 gallon bucket + lid is $22-25.  So this is 4-5x as much as they are right up front.  But since it shouldn't ever need to be replaced and it doesn't take as much effort to keep clean and flavor free... that's the main benefits of fermenting in stainless to me.  My current 'fleet' of stainless fermenters is all oddball stuff... 14.5 gallon stout conical, 2 10 gallon corny kegs, 2 14 gallon futsi tanks, and then a few half barrel sankey kegs... The sanke kegs work well but they are a pain to clean truth be told...
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 01:53:50 pm »
Yeah for me it's just a good bucket replacement that doesn't need to have too much care done for it like a plastic bucket does.  With bucket fermenter I always feel like I spend so much effort trying to get the aromas and flavors they absorb out of them...and it's creepy to think of something as 'clean' when it still smells like what was previously in it even after weeks of multiple soakings with cleaner.

They way I figure it a 7.9 gallon bucket + lid is $22-25.  So this is 4-5x as much as they are right up front.  But since it shouldn't ever need to be replaced and it doesn't take as much effort to keep clean and flavor free... that's the main benefits of fermenting in stainless to me.

You make a good argument.  I think I'll lay down the money for one.  Never done a bucket fermentation.  Don't like the long plastic contact, scratchability, etc.  And I'm really getting tired of jamming additions through narrow carboy necks.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 07:12:25 am »
I do use glass carboys for secondary fermentation (mostly with meads) but for primary the wide opening is nice... especially for a mead when you're adding lots of nutrients and degassing frequently I find.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 02:25:37 pm »
That's a re-purposed stainless steel milk transport can.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:27:39 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 02:53:03 pm »
That's a re-purposed stainless steel milk transport can.
Hmmm...that designation is not so alluring.  Looks like with a week to go, funding is at 80%.  Anyone who is on the fence and low on milk cans, jump on in!  The wort is fine.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 03:06:01 pm »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 04:25:49 pm »
Yes on his thread on HBT he states it is indeed just a slightly modified milk can.  He said he's using the manufactures template with a custom height, volume, and lid.  I have not seen any new milk cans for this price.. so that's why I actually bit.  I like the dimensions of it as it's bigger than a 5 gallon can (which I can't ferment a full batch in) but smaller than a 10 gallon can and I can fit it in my chest freezer still (damn compressor hump).
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"