Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Indiegogo 7.1 gallon Stainless Steel Fermenter  (Read 12297 times)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Indiegogo 7.1 gallon Stainless Steel Fermenter
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2014, 07:43:34 am »
I have not received my fermentation vessel, but you guys are not making me feel warm and fuzzy about my decision to participate in the buy.  I was ready to write this buy off as a loss given how long it took to fulfill.
Believe it or not but this was faster than most of my crowd funded items by a long shot
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2014, 07:46:40 am »
I am going to reserve judgement until I put this baby to work. It's my first non bucket or carboy fermenter, so it's all a little strange to me. They were supposed to be leak tested by manufacturer, in China, so we shall see

Sent from Franx Brew Works using Tapatalk
Sadly... I think my UNDENTED one leaks.  I had cleaned them both and was giving them a full PBW soak to both final clean them and leak test them at the same time... and after a few hours I noticed a wet spot from that one to my drain... I moved it up on top of my washer with the part I though was leaking off to the edge to see if I could spot the leak... this morning there wasn't a puddle on the floor where I thought there would be... so I have it sitting on a 'fresh' spot to see if there is any liquid in a few hours.... It looks to me like the level has gone down in it as well... so it's possible on the washing machine it was just leaking at a different spot than I suspected and went into the washing machine.... time will tell.... sigh
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2014, 08:00:37 am »
I would agree with the timeframes in my limited experience. My new brew kettle was delivered almost 4 months late! I will have to leak test mine today or tomorrow to keep it close to when I got it.

Sent from Franx Brew Works using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2014, 08:20:20 am »
Adam is still making things right though.  If after this final leak test in doing I find it to be leaking I'll have to send it back.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2014, 07:03:09 pm »
Bummer. I let the vessel sit all day and it appeared to not be leaking.  I thought what I saw last night must have been from the inside ring left over from washing.  I had the idea to put some slight pressure on it for one final test before I told him I was crazy and is fine... Instantly started pushing the pbw out of 2 spots in the bottom weld.

He's willing to give me the same break as on the other broken one... I'm considering... I mean maybe I can silver solder it or use some kind of silicone sealant?
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2014, 08:53:31 am »
Bummer. I let the vessel sit all day and it appeared to not be leaking.  I thought what I saw last night must have been from the inside ring left over from washing.  I had the idea to put some slight pressure on it for one final test before I told him I was crazy and is fine... Instantly started pushing the pbw out of 2 spots in the bottom weld.

He's willing to give me the same break as on the other broken one... I'm considering... I mean maybe I can silver solder it or use some kind of silicone sealant?

you'll never be able to keep it sanitary. if you've got a ss fermenter but part of it is plastic you might as well have plastic fermenters.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 69franx

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2014, 09:01:25 am »
New update from Adam came in email this morning. He has received reports of rust forming around the welds on a unit. He is not sure if it is an isolated incident or systemic. Thinks units may not have been passivated by Chinese assemblers. he has asked all contributors "To not ferment in these units until he sorts it out." Hold on to your hats and lets see what happens...
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2014, 09:05:59 am »
Yeah every stainless fermenter I own came with instructions to passivate them before using them.  Scrub it down with some Bar Keepers Friend and you'll be fine with the rusting (assuming it's a passivation thing and not a low quality of steel thing)

Well part of the reason I like these bucket type stainless fermenters is because I can heat/steam sanitize them.  the repair should have no bearing if I do that.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2014, 07:55:13 pm »
I received my vessel a couple of days ago.  It's too big and too heavy for my needs. 

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2014, 02:34:32 pm »
I've had the big stainless steel jug for a few weeks but only am now getting around to cleaning it.  I'm planning on fermenting with it in about a week.

Impressions so far...

Well, as pointed out, it's heavy.  For better or for worse.

Build quality is sloppy.  Seams, welds, and edges are too frequently sharp, rough and choppy.  Lots of places to take off skin, and picks and cracks inside to potentially harbor gunk and funk.

Unlike some others, mine appears not to leak, at least as tested by one PBW soak.  Will do a second soak and then a StarSan treatment before it goes into service.

Vessel capacity is large and access to inside is easy--the reason I signed on.

However, the generally poor build quality and workmanship are a real bummer. 

Should have coughed up another hundred and got a SS brew bucket.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline 69franx

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2014, 04:02:38 pm »
Ive got mine cleaned and soaking in star san now. It gets 6 gallons of Dunkel tomorrow. We will see how it turns out. I agree with everything Mugwort says about the quality of the craftsmanship on this product. Mine does not seem to leak, but its heavy, the lid closures could take your hand off at the wrist, and sloppy welds. Here's hoping it produces better than it looks!
Frank L.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2014, 08:43:30 am »
Ultimately this project ended up looking like a guy who wanted to make some profit selling some poorly manufactured junk from China like so many other people. He may not have intended for it to be that way but it sure reads that way. In addition to the leaks and rust issue I would also be concerned about the content of the metal. I wouldn't trust that it is really stainless steel given the other problems people have experienced.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:08 am »
In addition to the leaks and rust issue I would also be concerned about the content of the metal. I wouldn't trust that it is really stainless steel given the other problems people have experienced.

Not that it's anything but the coarsest of tests, but has any put a magnet on one of these?

Offline 69franx

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2014, 10:08:17 am »
No magnet for me yet, but I will when I get home from work this evening
Frank L.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2014, 02:59:08 pm »
Or geiger counter?