Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Belgium in Ohio  (Read 1927 times)

Offline scott

• Cellarman
New Belgium in Ohio
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:25:14 am »
New Belgium entered Ohio late last year.  Right now they are only selling bombers.  The three regular beers here in Ohio (Fat Tire, Ranger, and ??) are being sold for $2.99!  How much do bombers of these beers usually cost?
Scott

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: New Belgium in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:32:30 am »
Bombers cost $4-8 here in western Colo.  The Lips of Faith and the Hop Kitchen series are on the expensive end.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:11:30 am »
They did the same kind of sale when they opened in Florida last year.  Two bombers for $5 at some stores.  Now you can't find them, as in they don't sell bombers, only 6 and 12 packs.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:20:14 am »
A bomber of Fat Tire for 2.99 sounds about right...I wouldn't pay more. I think they are normally one of the cheaper bombers here in CO. Maybe I am mistaken.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:22:13 am »
NB has been in Texas for a long time. I seem to think those bombers still sell for around $3-4 but I might be wrong. Slightly more expensive than the six pack.

I know a lot of people aren't fans of NB's core line up. They were one of the few craft offerings in the state in the early 2000s when I started down this path so they were a big part of my conversion. I have a soft spot for them although honestly I don't buy NB beers very often outside of the Lips of Faith series. I would buy their core beers more often but after tasting them at the brewery, extremely fresh, and tasting what we get here it is a huge loss in quality here. I wonder if the beers sit at the distributor under unpleasant conditions. Even the malty beers like Abbey lose a lot of character by the time they reach Dallas. Fat Tire actually has some noticeable hop flavor at the brewery. Here, not so much.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:18:07 am »
NB has been in Texas for a long time. I seem to think those bombers still sell for around $3-4 but I might be wrong. Slightly more expensive than the six pack.

I know a lot of people aren't fans of NB's core line up. They were one of the few craft offerings in the state in the early 2000s when I started down this path so they were a big part of my conversion. I have a soft spot for them although honestly I don't buy NB beers very often outside of the Lips of Faith series. I would buy their core beers more often but after tasting them at the brewery, extremely fresh, and tasting what we get here it is a huge loss in quality here. I wonder if the beers sit at the distributor under unpleasant conditions. Even the malty beers like Abbey lose a lot of character by the time they reach Dallas. Fat Tire actually has some noticeable hop flavor at the brewery. Here, not so much.

NB was my introduction to craft beer so I will always have a soft spot as well. They were my favorite brewery for some time until they started discontinuing my favs and replacing them with ones I don't care much for. The fact that they don't have regular seasonals anymore bugs me. I was a big fan around the time they had Mighty Arrow, Skinny Dip, Hoptopber, and 2 Below as their seasonals...

Offline rmyurick

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:25:52 am »
I had a bottle of the Ranger IPA a couple months ago--it was OK, nothing to rave about. Maybe Belgian-y yeast? 2.99 is not bad for an IPA bomber, but I'd rather have Stone IPA for $11/6 or Great Lakes Commodore Perry at $9/6.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 11:45:30 am »
I had a bottle of the Ranger IPA a couple months ago--it was OK, nothing to rave about. Maybe Belgian-y yeast? 2.99 is not bad for an IPA bomber, but I'd rather have Stone IPA for $11/6 or Great Lakes Commodore Perry at $9/6.

Ranger is definitely not anything special in my opinion. They were very late to get into the hoppy beer movement and I think are trying to play catch up to a certain extent...