Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re-Boil / Re-pitch?  (Read 1957 times)

Offline SeanFawcett

• 1st Kit
Re-Boil / Re-pitch?
« on: March 08, 2015, 06:10:11 pm »
OK, I've done something stupid!

I was brewing a 5 gallon batch of a "Heady Topper" clone recipe.  For anyone not familiar with Heady Topper, it's a dry-hopped double IPA which is brewed in very limited batches in Vermont.  Great Bear.

In any case, the recipe calls for 13 lbs of Maris Otter Malt, 4 oz Caravienne malt and 1 lb of dextrose in the boil.  It's a 75 minute boil with two whirlpool / spin-down hops additions

Everything was going fine until I pitched the yeast  and looked on the counter and there was the 1 lb. bag of dextrose which I had neglected to add to the boil.

So (here's the stupid part) I mixed the dextrose with lukewarm water and added it to the 70 degree beer / wort.  I know that once the wort cools below 80 or so, it's very susceptible to contamination which could prevent fermentation...  just spaced it out.

It's meed about 24 hours and there is very little sign of fermentation activity.  If I shake the carboy, I will get a few bubble in the air lock but otherwise, nothing.  Normally, the air trap is bubbling like crazy after only 6-12 hours.

So, I assume I've wrecked the batch.  A couple of questions:
1. Do I just throw it out or can it be salvaged?
2.  Is it possible to re-boil for a few minutes, re-cool, and then pitch more yeast?

Thanks

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Re-Boil / Re-pitch?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 06:19:41 pm »
I would just let it go. You've got a good chance it will be fine, but reboiling it will definitely ruin it.

How much yeast did you pitch?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline SeanFawcett

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 06:38:04 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

The recipe called for two (2) packets of Safale US-05

So there is plenty of sugar (OG was 1.062 prior to the 1 lb dextrose) and plenty of yeast.

How long do I wait for fermentation to become active?
Does shaking help?
What if it never starts bubbling?

Thanks
I would just let it go. You've got a good chance it will be fine, but reboiling it will definitely ruin it.

How much yeast did you pitch?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 07:45:20 pm »
I think you will be fine. Reboiling it will mess up the bitterness and hop aroma.\

You can shake to aerate it up until it starts to show signs of aeration. But don't stress too much. With dry yeast aeration may not be so crucial.

It's hard ti be certain but I'd say 90% your beer will be ok. RAHAHB!

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:13:19 pm »
You are likely okay.  I highly doubt the dextrose addition was the problem.  I've had a 48 hour lag time with S-04 and just had a 94 hour lag time with Lallemand BRY-97.  With the latter I finally pitched more yeast.  BRY-97 had a reputation as a slow starter so I was really patient with that before adding more yeast.  As long as your sanitation practice is sound you have little to worry about but it never hurts to have more yeast as backup.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline SeanFawcett

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 06:47:03 am »
OK, thanks for all or your comments.
Finally this morning, we have active fermentation so, I guess I just needed some patience.
Thanks again.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 07:19:32 am »
OK, thanks for all or your comments.
Finally this morning, we have active fermentation so, I guess I just needed some patience.
Thanks again.
Good to hear. I should have mentioned that although it could have been contaminated with other organisms, I don't think any possible contamination would halt fermentation. Bleach is about the only thing that would do that. That's why I was never worried.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:59:23 am »
I have added sugar after fermentation started and made great beer, but I never would have mixed it with water.  Tap water probably wasn't the best idea, but it will most likely be just fine.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 01:31:10 pm »
I've added about 24 oz of sugar to an IPA about a day after pitching with no adverse effect that I could notice, at least. My gravity had come out way lower than expected and frankly I was just bothered about it. So the next day I decided to do something to remedy the situation.

I took about 10 oz. of water mixed in the sugar and then brought that to a boil to sanitze everything.  I then cooled and pitched. That beer came out surprisingly good. I don't plan on trying that again though. Too many unknowns.

FWIW, you're probably just fine. Time will tell.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you